Under the radar schools in Central and Eastern Europe

MIS

Under the radar schools in Central and Eastern Europe

Post by MIS »

What are some of the better under the radar schools in Central and Eastern Europe? Everyone knows about the tier 1s, but what about some of the schools that don't get as much attention as the International School of Bucharest, the American School of Warsaw, etc. I'm looking at Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Croatia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Romania, Estonia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Serbia, etc. Literally the whole of Central and Eastern Europe. Thanks.
scoobysue

Re: Under the radar schools in Central and Eastern Europe

Post by scoobysue »

There's a new (ish - it's in its second year) accredited European School in Tallin, Estonia. No idea about working conditions, but am aware the pay's not great.
National

Post by National »

Perchersk School in Ukraine is pretty good. I've had some friends who worked there and really enjoyed it. Kyiv is a great city and the troubles in the East are not affecting daily life to any great extent in Kyiv, but who knows what the future will hold.
MIS

Post by MIS »

Thanks for the suggestions! Any others?
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

I suggest you search older posts, this has been covered before. Anglo-American School in Sofia has a nice package and location.
MIS

Post by MIS »

Thanks.
Last edited by MIS on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

Hi MIS - In response to your question, I think you have the bases covered that you'll need to be a competitive applicant. My advice is to focus on your strengths and the things you can control. A lot of these schools seem like they are very difficult places to gain employment, until one day you do.
MIS

Post by MIS »

Thanks, nikkor. That's the part that's unnerving to me -- the idea that it seems completely unattainable, but then it isn't. :)
EUExplorer

Post by EUExplorer »

Take a look at the CEESA schools: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_an ... ssociation

For the top schools in this conference, the competition is fierce to land a job and teachers tend to stick around because the pay and benefits are good, cost of living lower than Western Europe, and the quality of life is fantastic. Arguably, these top schools are: International School of Prague, Anglo-American School of Moscow, American International School of Budapest, American International School of Vienna, and the American School of Warsaw.

Slightly below these schools, but still solid choices- American International School of Bucharest, The Anglo-American School of Sofia, and International School of Belgrade.

Then, the rest of the schools.

I would personally stay away from QSI schools, unless you are religious and/or perhaps are just trying to break into the international scene.
MIS

Post by MIS »

Good stuff, EUExplorer. I greatly appreciate it.