Jakarta with young drpendents?

BellaLuna

Jakarta with young drpendents?

Post by BellaLuna »

We are a teaching couple and have been considering Jakarta International School. But, we have three young dependents who will be 3, 6 and 8 next school year. After all the crazy child abuse cases coming from JIS and Indonesia, I have reservations. My kids would be in the elementary school, I in the Middle school and husband in the high school, so we wouldn't be in the same schools as my kids in order to have a closer watch on them. Do you think my concerns are valid or should we approach it thinking because of their history the school may be more vigilant?
Taylor

Re: Jakarta with young drpendents?

Post by Taylor »

It's looking like more and more like the accusations are false and JIS seems like an amazing school overall. Being in Indonesia is a concern, but I'd at least apply for the positions and gather more evidence before dismissing it as an option.
BellaLuna

Post by BellaLuna »

Thank you Taylor. In your eyes, what is concerning about being in Indonesia.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

First of all, Bella, JIS is not an easy school to get into. It is one of the top schools in SE Asia. Second, the allegations are exactly that, allegations. They were supposedly video taped in a glass office, which happens to be the ES office with glass walls. Another child says he was assaulted in an upstairs room - which happens to be the staff room and the student says it happened at break times.

Go figure.
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

I don't think your concerns are valid. However, if you have reservations, then don't apply to JIS. It doesn't sound like you really want to work there. With 3 dependents, you probably wouldn't be high on their list either. Shadowjack, thanks for posting and keeping things "real" instead of hyped-up.
EUExplorer

Post by EUExplorer »

Agree with the other posters. JIS has been one of the best internationals schools in the world, bar none, for many years. From everything I've read, the allegations against the teachers are probably false, brought about by a combination of opportunist parents (who are suing the school) and some xenophobia in the community. With your young kids, you will be hard pressed to find a better education for them internationally; however, with 3 dependents, it won't be easy for you.
pikefish

Post by pikefish »

Deleted
Last edited by pikefish on Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
hallier

Post by hallier »

Thanks to those posters who have responded to the OP's concerns about JIS and the child abuse situation - it is becoming increasingly apparent that nothing happened and no abuse took place.

It is such a shame that folks are wary of the school because of this story - it was always a safe place for kids, and after this tragedy, is not even safer.

There WILL be a lot of vacancies this year.

And it is a great school for young families, as household help and childcare is so affordable, and the JIS community offers so much for young children to do.

One challenge is that schools like JIS prefer 1 child per teacher, and tend to steer clear of large families. However, that is not to say they would not hire a couple with 3 children. Their conditions stipulate that the school will sponsor 2 dependents per teacher, so they will pay for up to 4 kids for a teaching couple.

Good luck with your search:)
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

What about life outside of JIS in Jakarta? Is air (among other) pollution not an issue?
Gipper

Post by Gipper »

Air pollution less of an issue in Jakarta than most large cities, partly because during rainy season the air gets cleaned every day. Most days are blue sky days.