Direct Applications for Teaching Couple

ExpatinAsia99

Direct Applications for Teaching Couple

Post by ExpatinAsia99 »

I tried a search to find an answer to this question, but didn't seem to find an answer. Apologies as I'm sure this has been asked many times.

When applying directly to schools as a teaching couple, do we apply individually, mentioning the other in the cover letter and CV? Or do we apply with one cover letter about both of us? Or one PDF that has both of our applications together in one long document pack?

Thanks
cdn

Re: Direct Applications for Teaching Couple

Post by cdn »

If you're applying directly, most likely it will be for specific jobs. Many schools have an online application process that forces you to apply for each job separately (ISBangkok as an example), but you can mention that your partner has also applied in your cover letter. If they don't have a system like that, I don't see an issue with using one cover letter for the both of you and attaching both CVs to the email/application. My wife and I did that and had success (truthfully, our success came form going to the fairs, but we did have some interest prior). We only had one issue where the school didn't seem to understand that we were a package - American School of Dubai. They seemed to be very disorganized, and couldn't understand that we were applying separately but as a package. They offered interviews for one and not the other. When we told them the issue they were still oddly confused.

If you go to a fair, I would suggest making more visual cover letter that includes info about both of you (front and back, in color, and on good stock worked for us).
ExpatinAsia99

Re: Direct Applications for Teaching Couple

Post by ExpatinAsia99 »

Thanks for the info.

Yes, it's for a school that doesn't have an online application program.

We have decided to write our own cover letters etc and have our own PDFs, then send it all together from one email address.