how many hours do you work a week?

marv

how many hours do you work a week?

Post by marv »

Hi there
I was wondering if people would share how many hours they work a week.
I'm currently doing my NQT in primary in the UK and am working around 80 hours and struggling with the workload. I plan on teaching abroad after the NQT but if I can expect a similar workload I may have to rethink staying in the profession :(
I realise everyone is different and what may take one person 1 hour could take another 3 hours (and as an NQT most things are taking longer than they would were I more experienced) but just curious how others around the world are doing.
Cheers
higgsboson

Re: how many hours do you work a week?

Post by higgsboson »

Marv Asked: "I was wondering if people would share how many hours they work a week."

Now just to be clear, are you asking how many hours I'm at work or how many hours I work?

I'm AT work about 35 hours per week, minus the times when I manage to sneak off campus, which is about 5 hrs per week so I'm actually AT work 30 hours per week.

As far as how many hours I actually work, it varies from 0 to 5 hours per week.
Today for example, I worked about 30minutes in one of my classes and the rest, I just had study hall.

I have never actually worked more than 10 hours per week but that was before I learned the moves.
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

I would say that most contracts tend to be for 8-9 hour days (7:30 to 3:30 or 7:30 to 4:30). Of course you'll be working a bit more than that, depending on what you need to do for planning and grading. Most schools ask you to participate in after-school activities for an hour or so, once per week. There are also the usual concerts, weekend events, and all-school activities that you go to, but I find them fun and exciting, so even though they're required, it's not a chore.

I would guess with 8 hours at school, and perhaps 2 hours outside of the contract hours for planning, grading, etc, you're looking at a 50 hour week, give-or-take.

The first year can be more, as you're setting up everything, though. Certain times of the year are a lot more time-consuming, too, but overall, I can't imagine an 80-hour work week in an international school setting. I'm sure schools would be thrilled if you did work that much, though...but it's not sustainable or healthy.

I hope you find a great job after your NQT!
National

Post by National »

I'm contracted for 38 hours/week. With planning and grading, I'd say I put in about 7-10 hours/week beyond my contract time either in the mornings before school or on the weekends. Of course there are times when I put in 15-20 hours/week beyond my contract. I would guess I average 45-50 depending on the time of year.

When I was in my first year of teaching, I only had two preps and I put in 65-70 hours easy. Now I have four preps and I put in 45 hours. I think you learn to be more efficient with your time and figure out how to spend less time on other issues as you gain more experience. You learn to figure out what is a priority. I wouldn't base the workload on your first year of teaching, but give it some time and see if you can whittle that time commitment down. As other posters have said, it isn't sustainable.

Finally, I would say I spend more hours working at an international school than I did in my home system. There are more outside requirements and usually you have more preps.
interteach

Post by interteach »

I normally put in 50-55 hours/week, and up to 70 during really busy times. I work at what's called a Tier 1 school and don't mind. The work is rewarding, and unlike some posters to this thread I actually enjoy what I do instead of finding reasons not to do my job.
whynot

Post by whynot »

Please don't be put off by your NQT year, I have found (and I think many people would agree) that I work less hours internationally than in my home system. I have also found that I have more time to be creative and take risks with my teaching without being hamstrung by some of the limitations that we have back home.
julierob25

Post by julierob25 »

I work from 8-4 Monday-Friday and 22 of the hours are actual lessons. The remainder of the time is used for planning, meetings, etc.
marv

Post by marv »

Thanks everyone for all the replies, it was the reassurance I was looking for! I'm happy to work around 50 or 60 hours but like some said, 80 isn't sustainable - I'm only 3 weeks in and already on the brink of collapse!
It's good to know there's some light at the end of the tunnel.
Thanks for the supportive comments too, and congratulations to those of you working jobs you love!
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

You people are working too much!
I don't think its the jobs that are too demanding but the teachers that don't recognize a dawdle for what it is.
Or else you're just suckers.

Now, I know the likes of Sid and Walther will immediately say I'm at a 3rd tier school but its not true. I paid $54.99 to a fake references service and I'm at a 1st tier school in a paradise. During the multiple skype interviews, I was told again and again how demanding the parents are and how they need regular communication and how much work would be expected of me. Basically, the same shit admin always says; and as usual, I smiled and nodded but I'm not working.

To date, over the past 6 weeks, I've done almost as little as I did last year. Today for instance, I spent most of the time applying for other jobs, just in case the opportunity for a profitable runner materializes. When I wasn't looking for other jobs, I was searching webehigh.org to find the best area to score in.

I see my life as an international school teacher as blessed and a gift from God and I won't waste blessing working 50 hour weeks for the lousy US$60,000 they pay me. For that, they get my best dawdle.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Still smells like a troll...
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

Heyteach - are you sure that's a troll you're smelling?
What with your nose shoved up whatever but you happen to be kissing, can you really be certain its a troll?
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Hey Marv, don't let your first year get you down; it can be a killer. I don't know tons about the requirements for NQT because I come from the American system. However, my state has a program for new teachers' induction year that can add a lot of work and stress. In addition to trying to learn the ropes as a newbie, plus working at the worst elementary school in the state (so much poverty and violence), I had to attend a bunch of seminars, get observed by everyone and their brother, and complete some assignments. I probably worked 65-70 hours per week that year. But never since.

For elementary teachers, one of the nicer things about international schools is more prep time than back home because the kids have a special plus a language class each day. I can get more done during the school day. I still work after school, but less than back home. I also spend less time on classroom management and more on teaching. On the flip side, I feel like I have 5 times the number of meetings to attend than I did back home.

Keep slogging through; it does get better!

As for Higgs, his posts make me laugh. Some I can't even believe because they're so ridiculous. But even if he's totally serious and truthful, oh well. I love my profession and treat it like a career. So Higgs' (or other teachers) lack of professionalism doesn't change a thing about what I would do.
teachingagain1945

Post by teachingagain1945 »

I work 28.4 hours a week. This includes all:

-teaching time
-duties
-clubs
-meetings

I think it's too much.
HereThereEverywhere

Post by HereThereEverywhere »

Most contracts have you working 7-8 hours a day and require after school commitments. Usually these commitments amount to an hour or two a week, but can be more if you are interested. I have up and down the tiers and it is basically the same story with one exception. The further you go up the tiers the less long term acceptance of BS there is. Teachers who cut out early and avoid commitments don't last long, but if you end up at a 2nd or 3rd tier school you can likely get along with doing as you like or move on to another similar situation. First year teachers do more, whether its first year teaching or first year at a school, but once you get the rhythm it gets less. I would expect experienced teachers would spend 50 hours a week, less if you don't care and more if its your first year.
dover2013

Post by dover2013 »

How many hours do I work a week? I have no idea. There are times when I clearly am not a teacher and times when I clearly am. Most of the hours of the day it's undefined. My life is balanced.

I disagree about the tiers. There are "Tier 1" schools where BS is expected and knowing how and when to BS and how to "play the game" is essential for survival. There are also " Tier 1" schools where honesty and professionalism are expected, encouraged and rewarded and the same results are achieved with a quarter of the work. Same can be said for Tier 2,3 and xyz. The difference is that in a "Tier 1" school employees tend to justify their employers expectations by the financial compensation. In lower tier schools teachers will complain about "too much work" or "too little structure" when they'd just get on with it either way if they were paid/treated/respected more.