Split 2 year experience.

International_dreams

Split 2 year experience.

Post by International_dreams »

Hi everybody,

Just wanted to say how much I love the sight. It's great to see so many people helping each other out.

Anyway, to start, I've checked the forum for threads on experience needed to start international teaching, but my case is a little stranger. So here goes.

I am currently teaching at a primary school in London and this is my NQT year (1st year). Last year I completed my certification, but before that I was teaching in a low tier British international school in the Middle East. I also have TEFL experience from Thailand, but I know that doesn't count.

So, by the end of this year I will have two years experience.

Do you think it is wise to start applying for jobs around Christmas time? I'm going to avoid applying to Search as I feel uncomfortable asking for references so early on in the year, so will just go down the Skype route.

I don't mind where I work (preference for good weather, but not the Middle East again).
Do you think I have a viable chance? Money concerns me less than actually living abroad itself and getting two years of experience abroad. My hope is that I can work my way up to better schools in more desirable locations over time, with the option of returning to the UK or going to Australia because of my UK qualification.

I'm not married and I don't have kids, and more than anything, I love to travel and have an adventure.

What do you think is my best course of action? Should I start applying, or stick out one more year of cold and rain after this year?

Cheers
sid

Re: Split 2 year experience.

Post by sid »

In general, schools count only experience that happens after you completely finish your qualification. So your ME experience is not going to count.
If you're British, most schools consider the NQT year as part of the qualification, so you will need two years AFTER your NQT before most schools will consider you.
If you're American (you talk about certification and NQT, so it's not clear at least to me), with a US certification before you went to the UK to teach, than your NQT year would count, since it's post-certification.

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but it's important to know how schools will view your experience. If you try to apply now for 2015-16, you'll find it quite hard to get any decent school to consider you. Would you really want to work there? Try waiting another couple of years, and you'll be much more competitive.
jessiejames

Post by jessiejames »

I know you're not applying to Search, but they accepted a friend who had just finished his NQT year (so, in his second year of teaching) - I wouldn't worry about getting two years on top of your NQT year.
auntiesocial

Post by auntiesocial »

I would have to disagree with the first reply. I think a lot of North Americans are confused by the NQT concept. As your NQT year is your first full teaching year post professional qualification, it is considered by a great number of international schools to still count as a full year's experience. I think the misunderstanding by many is a result of not realising that the teacher training year (PGCE) involves a heavy teaching component.

That being said, it will be harder for you without two full years of experience post qualification, but not impossible. Many have done it. I would certainly give it a crack, and would not rule out search associates. You have nothing to lose by trying and I wish you the best of luck