"Early" Hiring

runningsloth

"Early" Hiring

Post by runningsloth »

Just curious on when the earliest hiring takes place for 2015-2016? We had friends who accepted jobs at IS Bangkok in early November last year. We were offered in early December a couple years back. Is hiring becoming earlier and earlier for the top schools?
sid

Re: "Early" Hiring

Post by sid »

There are positions advertised now for next year, some at very good schools. I imagine that for the right applicant, they would make an offer and sign a contract even now. But since it's so early, don't expect that they'll jump at every applicant. They have time to be picky. And so do you.
runningsloth

Post by runningsloth »

sid wrote:
> There are positions advertised now for next year, some at very good schools. I imagine
> that for the right applicant, they would make an offer and sign a contract even
> now. But since it's so early, don't expect that they'll jump at every applicant.
> They have time to be picky. And so do you.

sid,

Where are you seeing these positions? Search? TIE? ISS?
sid

Post by sid »

Search and ISS. I haven't checked TIE lately.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

If you're an experienced teacher who has taken the time to network at training events, conferences, and with former colleagues you may hear about openings before they even get listed or find out that someone is planning on leaving. While some of these jobs may still be posted, the hard to fill spots may be hired for in "pre-season". A colleague of mine had two offers last year before we were expected to give notice for our school if we were returning for the following year. The date to let our school know if we were returning was in late October if I remember correctly.

While this doesn't necessarily help people new to the international circuit unless you already have friends working at a school, it does mean getting your material together by August or September is a very good idea.

I was hired in late October/early November at my school after a few Skype interviews, but I also knew someone at the school.