Agencies - how to spot the bad ones

scoobysue

Agencies - how to spot the bad ones

Post by scoobysue »

Hi,

New to posting but been teaching overseas for about 6 years now. I should probably have figured this out already, but how can we spot the less than professional teacher recruitment agencies before investing too much time in building a portfolio?

I've had one positive experience of getting a great job in a top European School through an agency when I started out teaching overseas. I've had two very negative experiences, too. Took a job through an agency: employer turned out to be very shady; realised the agency were motivated only by filling spaces to collect their fees. Another agency put me forward for something that looked ok but wasn't really something I had that much hunger for. Then they neglected to tell me I'd been made an offer of employment until a deadline for response had passed. I'm not too bothered about the job - there would have been a few too many compromises involved if I'd taken it. Mostly, I'm annoyed at my time being wasted filling in forms, collecting up documents, etc. for nothing.

I've been going by gut instinct so far - if the person I'm dealing with seems trustworthy, or the website lists openings at 'good' schools, I go with it, thinking 'nothing to lose'. I'm in the process of registering with Search, if they'll accept me, based on their reputation.

What are the 'red flags' that give away the agencies to avoid?
eion_padraig

Re: Agencies - how to spot the bad ones

Post by eion_padraig »

It sounds like the problem is the school you chose and less the agency. All the agencies make money off placing teachers, and I doubt any of the recruiters would warn a potential teacher off a school. I think in this regard, one has to do research on ISR, talk with other international teachers, and contact with current faculty.

Search Associates and ISS are the biggest players. TIEonline and CIS have good schools listing on their websites. But all four of those will have schools listing jobs at them where I wouldn't want to work and where I would warn a friend about.

I think networking with other international teachers is extremely important. Professional conferences, meeting other teachers when you chaperone sports teams at other international schools, and going to workshops are key to making these kinds of contacts. Keeping in touch with former colleagues who move on to other international schools is very important. Even meeting international teachers at nearby international schools to learn about places where they have worked can help you avoid terrible places.

What's tough is that international schools can get better or worse much faster than most national schools. The populations at most international schools (students, faculty, and board members) can be highly transient, so there is less inertia. So information from 10 years ago can be really outdated. Heck, even information that is 5 years old can be pretty irrelevant.

Good luck.
flowersinger

Post by flowersinger »

True Teaching is a "fly by night" recruitment agency. I have have worked with Nadine Tyro in the past. Now she has her own recruitment agency. As an administrator she threw her teachers "under the bus" too many times and did not honor teachers and administrators. I would say she has lost her moral and ethical compass. Be warned and stay away from "True Teaching."
scoobysue

Post by scoobysue »

Thank you for the responses, and advice. :)

I'm realising that even after six years, I'm still very much at 'amateur' level in terms of job-hunting and applications. It seems that lately, every ad says to include details of THREE people to contact for references! Three! At least agencies get that done once to cover several applications.

Despite that, I prefer to apply direct. It's a control thing, I think: I decide how to 'sell' my qualifications & experience for a particular vacancy. I've only been applying since Easter this year, but it would look like that's a 50/50 strategy in terms of success. I've had interviews, but I'm not very good at them, so no offers. :( At least with an agency, there's more chance of frank feedback, and maybe even interview coachng.

I'm off to read that thread about interviews ... :)