Best Fair for Latin American Schools/Schools to Apply to?

pippafrit1

Best Fair for Latin American Schools/Schools to Apply to?

Post by pippafrit1 »

Advice and suggestions please as to which recruiting fair is the best one with representation from schools in South America. Central America or the Caribbean? Also which schools people recommend watching out for to apply to? Thanks in advance.
Micky

Re: Best Fair for Latin American Schools/Schools to Apply to

Post by Micky »

Search Associates will hold their first South American fair in Bogota, Columbia in February. I would expect that their would be a large presence of Central and South American schools there.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

This one http://www.aassa.com/ It's one of the earliest fairs, if not the earliest, and recruiters seem more likely to hire rather than simply scout out candidates for future reference. My former school did quite a bit of hiring there, and the SEARCH and UNI fairs were more like mop-up operations for them.
jakegittes

Post by jakegittes »

It depends on who you are and what you're looking for. But if you must pick one, I would recommend Search Cambridge.
datsyukian

Post by datsyukian »

AASSA is great. I went to their fair last year in Atlanta and had five interviews and three job offers. I'm now happily working in South America with an awesome package. AASSA was well worth the investment for me personally. If saving money is a high priority on your list don't shy away from Venezuela. Yes, the country has it's share problems but the opportunity to save a ton of money is certainly there.
julierob25

Post by julierob25 »

datsyukian,

What is the name of the school you are working for? I have a 4 year old son, would you recommend Venezula as a safe place to live for a single parent? Thanks for any information.
datsyukian

Post by datsyukian »

I work at a school in Valencia. Do you speak Spanish? It's hard for me to say about living with a child, I am a single adult male with no children.
earlychildhood

Post by earlychildhood »

Hi all, I am considering going to the AASSA fair this year, but I do NOT speak Spanish. What are my chances of finding a position? I am an early years teacher with plenty of IB training and experience, which makes me a competitive candidate for schools in Europe and Asia, but maybe less so for South American schools? Is Spanish more or less a requirement?
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Speaking Spanish is probably not a requirement for most schools. The topic didn't even come up in my interview with my Quito school.