International schools in Germany

Nomad68

International schools in Germany

Post by Nomad68 »

I need some information about international schools in Germany. I (and my kids) hold EU passports and have a trailing non-EU spouse. We are considering a move to Europe and Germany in particular. I have read the reviews on ISR and know which schools to definitely avoid.

Can anyone who has worked in an IS in Germany recommend a good secondary/high school to try for? Not necessarily a First Tier school, as I would prefer a school that is less high pressured. Berlin appeals because of the number of schools and its international flavor but we are open to ideas.

Thanks in advance
fine dude

Re: International schools in Germany

Post by fine dude »

deleted
Last edited by fine dude on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

I'd be interested to hear replies to this too. Thanks in advance for constructive comments.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

I would pay taxes regardless if I returned to Europe and in Germany it seems I would pay less than at home.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Get ready to pay 45 - 50% of your salary.
seashell

Post by seashell »

I am a single woman living in Germany and I am at the highest tax bracket of 42%, I don't know anyone who is taxed at 50% of their salary. If you are married and have kids your tax liability is lower. The cost of living in many major German cities is very low. The old adage beer is cheaper than water is true! These taxes include my pension, and health insurance. I just had a few major procedures done and didn't pay a cent. Quality of life is high. You can search my previous posts for more information. There are a lot of shady for-profit schools in Germany. The work/life balance is valued across the country.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

I have a wife and 2 small children who would be ready for Primary/Elementary school by the time we relocate from the Middle East. I would think my wife would not be returning to work any time soon so we would be on a single salary. I have been told elsewhere that I could expect to be taxed at 40% if I earn the average salary of an international teacher with coordinator salary enhancement, but as I have a family this tax might be reduced to 20%.
Does this sound right?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Don't forget that your kids' tuition benefits would be taxable, as would other similar benefits you might get. That changes the equation. Do your homework with the taxman before taking the job, just in case...
seashell

Post by seashell »

In Germany if you children are young enough they could also go to local schools and pick up German. Most German primary schools run from 8:30-12/1 p.m.- great if your wife isn't working. Though every city seems to have one all day school 8-4 p.m. I'm very impressed with the German system and several friends have chosen this option.

Any school worth working for will give you a rundown of the taxes, tuition benefits etc. With a non-working spouse and two kids you would be at one of the lowest tax classes, but being single I can't comment too much on it.

There are people who do it, but you won't be living the high life of SE Asia.
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

Thanks seashell. Your insider advice is much appreciated.
jessiejames

Post by jessiejames »

I have read negative reviews on here of Berlin Villa Amalien Hoff, Berlin e.v. school and Berlin Brandenburg (though I know this is quite far outside Berlin). Are there any well respected IS schools in Berlin?
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Just about every second tier school has something wrong with it, thats what keeps it from being 1st tier. Looking more for a region in Germany you want to be in, and would have a satisfying home and family life is going to be far more important than school quality or lack there off. School is work not your life, prioritize your quality of life and it wont really matter what your work life is.

Based on most teachers salaries you will see a 14% tax rate,about 26% for social welfare, with another 5.5% in solidarity tax, and 8%-9% in church tax (for church members). So without church tax your looking at about 45% but this is before deductions and exemptions. The average is about 40% (depending on kids). Tuition waivers are taxed as income as well, which could put you in the next tax bracket which is 42%.

45% is the highest tax bracket but doesnt count social welfare, solidarity, or church tax.

20% would be very unrealistic.

"Euro School" are a very worthwhile and notable option. They are essentially public international schools with the goal of curriculum delivery in an English medium. I have known teacher in the past that declined tuition waivers because the value would have put them over the next tax threshold and would have been very expensive.

I have to say with a trailing spouse and two kids (assuming you get a position) you would be very close to starving on an ITs salary. You really need two incomes.