Is PYP training worth it?

pattenke

Is PYP training worth it?

Post by pattenke »

I am currently in my second year teaching internationally (in Brazil). I am debating completing an IB certificate online for PYP, but was wondering if it is necessary/worth it? I am certified in Early Childhood, Elementary, and have a Master's in Reading and Literacy. Also I am single with no dependents. I am looking to move to another school next year, ideally somewhere else in South America or Asia. Any thoughts or suggestions? Much appreciated!
teachingagain1945

Re: Is PYP training worth it?

Post by teachingagain1945 »

Good question. I don't like PYP. I paid for training and it got my foot in the door though. But instead of doing onsite training for a few days do a cheaper online course.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Save your money, begin to institute inquiry based learning in your classroom, and use that as a step to finding a PYP school that is willing to train you. That's the best/cheapest way.
Vernacular

Post by Vernacular »

The short answer is "No". Any reputable I.B. school would pay for, or facilitate your training.
jessiejames

Post by jessiejames »

One recruitment agency contacted me recently to suggest I look into PYP training, ahead of a job fair next year. Apparently all the schools attending are IB only, and will not hire staff without IB experience or training. It is difficult as even online training seems to start at hundreds of pounds - I wish I could justify that much for my own CPD, but I simply don't have that money. I hope that Vernacular is right and there are some more accepting schools out there.
pattenke

Post by pattenke »

Jessie James - can I ask which recruiting agency and which fair?

jessiejames wrote:
> One recruitment agency contacted me recently to suggest I look into PYP training,
> ahead of a job fair next year. Apparently all the schools attending are IB only,
> and will not hire staff without IB experience or training. It is difficult as even
> online training seems to start at hundreds of pounds - I wish I could justify that
> much for my own CPD, but I simply don't have that money. I hope that Vernacular
> is right and there are some more accepting schools out there.