Help Please! Advice needed on best combination for couple

aussiegirl

Re: Help Please! Advice needed on best combination for coupl

Post by aussiegirl »

Thanks so much :) Have decided to go with Business/ History and have enrolled for history subjects over summer here in Oz!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Good luck! Maybe I and Mrs. Shadowjack might run into your two on the circuit in a few years :-)
aussiegirl

UPDATE: Re: Help Please! Advice needed

Post by aussiegirl »

Hi all

We are well on the way to gaining teaching qualifications. My husband is doing very well with his Masters of Primary, and I am on track to graduate at the same time (end 2016) with Secondary Business/ History. Along the way I have learned that Business/Commerce is not something I prefer to teach. I am concerned with what I have read in the forum about the competitiveness of History positions.

I am considering undertaking an in-service conversion and picking up another method - a major in Chemistry and a minor in Physics (which I believe is the *gold standard*?). Is this worth doing? It will take another 18 months of study, though I feel this would be worth it if we are then able to pitch ourselves at the *best* schools and also be much more employable than if I only had history/business as a method.

Once qualified we are looking to gain 2 years Aussie experience before we go overseas.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Aussiegirl
sitka

Post by sitka »

I highly recommend you teach what you love. It is not particularly difficult to get a history posting, if that is your thing.
Chadekni

Post by Chadekni »

I agree with sitka, focus on the teaching areas you enjoy most. While being employable needs to be a consideration, trying to chase the perfect combination sounds like a recipe for failure to me.

If the horror stories about employability for teachers within Australia are influencing you, just be aware that finding an international post is not as difficult. That may shock some people on here who doom and gloom about int. teaching prospects, but the fact is there is a glut of graduates in Australia right now and very few positions are available in the state system (who are far and away the largest employer). In fact, I think the most difficult part of your plan will be getting two solid years of experience in Australia! Since leaving Australia I worked first in SE Asia and am now in Eastern Europe as a Business/History teacher. I had to work a little harder during hiring season, but there are more than enough jobs to go around.

Short version: don't stress.
aussiegirl

Post by aussiegirl »

thanks guys, great to have your advice.

cheers
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

First a business studies/Economics appointment at anything except the largest of ISs is going to be an all secondary vacancy, with the expectation you can do all grades 6-12. Both of you having business studies/economics certifications is going to be a VERY uncommon niche, few ISs (if any) will have two business studies vacancies. You are more likely to find a social studies/humanities and business studies/economics vacancies at the same IS.
It will be very difficult to separate business studies from economics, the vast majority of ISs combine them. Business studies is what you teach at lower secondary, and upper secondary students take economics, thats what the IS needs to fill out a schedule for you.
History is the most common social studies subject, but their are lots of history ITs. Many of the other social studies areas are very niche subjects geography and psychology is second to history.
Philosophy really only exists in a marketable way as TOK, the other subjects poli.sci, sociology, asian/regliouse studies have very small demand.

A TESOL qualification is nice with something else, but will be unmarketable as you get to higher tiers, and its considered poison when recruiting.

ISs really only divide their divisions into two groups generally primary and secondary, while some ISs have very defined middle years Junior/JHS programs they are usually either expanded primary programs or they are "secondary" programs, you will be handicapping yourself trying to market yourself as a middle years of junior school only teacher, especially in a low demand field like business studies.

Really think about primary, thats a lot of developmental years included in that group. Year 7s may be like upper primary at years 5 and 6, but would you be happy with a year 1/KS1 classroom where students arent at the production stage yet? Id do some observations of that and see if thats what you can and want to do.

Science is in higher demand, but does he really want too and can he really teach science. The highest demand science fields are school leaving courses in physics and chemistry, is that what he wants to do, and can he do it? Agree with SJ as above, you have to be able to sell yourself on being able to teach all levels of secondary. Lower secondary only is going to be very limiting.

Are their alternative options for your partner, your the business exec economics/business studies sounds more attuned to your skill set. Maybe something like design technology (a high demand niche field) or ICT can include all type of skills at the primary and lower secondary level involve video/audio production (iMovie, etc..), its not all programing. Another option he might want to consider is Librarian. Its a junior admin position, you have fewer performance tasking than a classroom teacher, their isnt any assessment performance and there is a lot more "unconstructed time".

Primary teachers are the least in demand, those positions go first to high demand secondary ITs who have a trailing spouse. Primary can be hard, but its an over saturated labor pool. The exception is a qualified and experienced PYP IT, those are in demand.

Kids are cost, they are always a determent. Some small third tier ISs that are mostly local population students like having the white faces for photos, but ISs have discovered that they can get stock images or casting photos and video cheaper than tuition waivers. A school age child adds $10K in tuition waivers alone, not counting other benefits such as insurance, relocation and housing.

Lastly for you as my advice forget teaching, with your business experience and time go for counseling. You have time and the background to be a career counselor (assuming you can get a position in your Uni admissions/enrollment services department), you can also easily transition this with your prior background into administration.