Obtaining credentials

gwenla

Obtaining credentials

Post by gwenla »

Hello!

Due to some respondents' dire predictions of our ineligibility for jobs because of trailing spouse and 2 kids, I'm curious about getting said spouse some credentials. He has an undergrad in biology and society (hybrid degree with botany, sciences, and liberal arts) and a J.D. in law (mostly oil, gas, and water law). What would be your recommendations for programs to start looking at? We're looking at time-manageable while working full time, doable within one year (we want to go abroad next year), and affordable.

He could get a sub license here in Colorado for cheap and easy, but he'd have no experience and I don't know if the sub license wold count for anything anyway...

Thanks for the advice!
marieh

Re: Obtaining credentials

Post by marieh »

I did my certification through the University of West Florida's TeacherReady program. From start to finish, it took just over 13 months (including the processing time) and included an online component as well as a student teaching placement in a local school (4-8 hours a week). Florida requires that you pass a subject area exam in order to become endorsed in a subject, although I suspect that having a background in what you'd like to teach helps with being hired. From what you've stated, it sounds like he could easily pursue endorsements in biology, history, or perhaps even government.