Best Options?

kb12

Best Options?

Post by kb12 »

To keep this short, I'm going to post another personal situation that I feel most people have a question about regarding their specific scenario.

Mine is quick. I'm getting my B.Ed in Secondary Education with an emphasis in English. I will be certified in the state that I live in, as well as complete a semester of student teaching. I finish this next Spring. From the looks of the ISS website, I meet the minimum qualifications, though I recognize that isn't ideal. I have a non-teaching spouse. I plan on teaching in my state until I get an international teaching job.

My main question is this:

Would it be best for me to save my money from Search and ISS until I have at least two years teaching under my belt, and just consistently apply directly to schools that interest me? Or, go through Search and ISS and hope that my lack of experience somehow stands out...

I clearly favor the first one, considering it would save me money, though probably not time. I'm wondering when schools post their job openings or know that they have them, meaning when would be the best time to apply directly to schools? Any information would be great. I have been reading around this site and have found things that somewhat answer my question, but obviously everyone has a unique situation, don't they? Thanks!
shadowjack

Re: Best Options?

Post by shadowjack »

Without two years experience, they won't touch you. And honestly, the schools that would hire you with 0 years experience are the schools you do NOT want to go to.

Do your two years, get a bit of experience and learn the ropes, then join up and head out.
National

Post by National »

I wouldn't spend the money on Search or ISS. If you plan on applying to schools that interest you, TIE is a cheap option that collates school postings. They don't have as many as Search, but it is much cheaper (I think $30).
marieh

Post by marieh »

shadowjack wrote:
> Without two years experience, they won't touch you. And honestly, the
> schools that would hire you with 0 years experience are the schools you do
> NOT want to go to.
>
> Do your two years, get a bit of experience and learn the ropes, then join
> up and head out.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with shadowjack on this one. I think your ability to find a job depends on several different factors above and beyond experience. Granted, having a non-teaching spouse in addition to no experience may be a large obstacle to overcome, but there is still a chance you will be able to find a good school that would be willing to take you. I myself was hired with zero post-cert experience and am VERY happy at my new not-for-profit school - even though I was also told that I had no chance with an alternative cert and no experience.

Do you have anything else you can bring to the table? Coaching experience? SPED certification? International or cross-cultural experience in general? Does your spouse have skills that could be transferred to an IS environment? For example, a background in IT, admin work, childcare, etc? Or perhaps they'd be interested in pursuing an alternative certification themselves. Figure out what your strengths are and work on selling those. You could very well be surprised at what offers you get.
teachingagain1945

Post by teachingagain1945 »

I got a good job right out of university, no experience. It wasn't a top school by any means but I spent 6 years there. Fantastic life both in and out of school and managed to bank some money too. I applied directly to schools. You could try that.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

I think you really need to go into this decision eyes wide open. For some, working overseas is the breath they breathe. If this is you, go now instead of being unhappy at home for two years. Otherwise, work for two years with the goal of landing at a better school when you recruit.