Qatar, UAE, Oman, Best Schools/Packages/Living Standard

HoraceMann

Qatar, UAE, Oman, Best Schools/Packages/Living Standard

Post by HoraceMann »

Hello All,
I am presently preparing for hiring season for 2015-2016 school year. I am pretty sure I wan to go to one of the above countries and hope to stay long term. I am wanting first hand opinions of what schools people perceive as having the best combination of school situation, quality of package, and standard of living. I am a SPED teacher with many years of experience, advanced degrees, and overseas experience. I have a non-teaching spouse that is a qualified/certified ESL teacher that would be interested in part time work or substitute teaching at the same school if it were available (but this not a deal breaker by any means). With all of this in mind, which schools do you believe would be places for me to begin my search? Also, are any of you aware of possible openings in one of these "recommended" schools for the 2015-2016 school year? Please feel free to PM me if you would prefer.
Thanks,
HM
HoraceMann

Re: Qatar, UAE, Oman, Best Schools/Packages/Living Standard

Post by HoraceMann »

Okay, I seem to be having a problem getting information. Perhaps my original post is a bit too subjective. How about this,if you are currently working in a school in one of these countries please tell me what school you are at, if you are planning to stay for another contract (why or why not)?
Any help would be appreciated. I thank in advance all that take the time to respond.
HM
Mike

Post by Mike »

Staying in Qatar for our 5th year. At ASD, love the school. Like Qatar well enough.

Not sure if there are any other decent schools in Qatar......
teachit

Post by teachit »

Having lived and taught in all of these countries I can tell you that Oman is hands down my favourite. It has kind people, amazing places to travel to within the country....miles of endless empty beaches, craggy mountain villages to explore, a city like Muscat with everything you could want. Loved it and went back twice for holidays after I left.
Hope this helps. Go for TAISM or ABA American British Academy.
HoraceMann

Post by HoraceMann »

Thank you so much for the replies.

Mike, what are your feelings about QF in general, and any specifics you might have about individual schools?

Teachit, what would you say the savings potential is like there in Oman (and at your specific school, if you don't mind me asking)?

Anyone else want to weigh in?

Thank You !!!

HM
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I agree Oman is a great place to live. I absolutely loved my lifestyle in Muscat and miss it quite a bit, but the school I was at was just poorly run although it had been operating for 20 years. I don't want to slam it as there are so many wonderful teachers still there. If you avoid the heavy drinking scene in the hotel bars, you can easily save 50-60% of your income (as I did in the two years I was there). I would have preferred TAISM, but there were no openings in my specialty.
Mike

Post by Mike »

QF--- is moving more local.

Do you have kids... I wouldn't send them to any of their schools.

I wouldn't work there, ask the teacher they threw in jail how he is feeling about QF.