Looking for family-friendly in SCA

gwenla

Looking for family-friendly in SCA

Post by gwenla »

Hello!

I am a 5th year, masters degree, secondary language arts teacher with experience teaching journalism and technology as well. I have one husband, one toddler, and one baby on the way. We are planning on going to UNI in January and leaving the U.S. August 2015. Baby will be 8 mo, toddler 2 1/2 years.

We want to learn Spanish and live in SCA. Husband is planning on staying home with the kids. We are frugal people, so I am (naively?) not worried about SCA's comparatively low salaries.

I am worried about finding a location at which 1) we can exercise regularly via gym and running outdoors, and 2) my partner will have family-friendly activities for the kids during the day.

What advice do you have about locations in SCA that are family friendly and schools that would consider me even with 3 dependents?

Thank-you in advance!
cjrv12

Re: Looking for family-friendly in SCA

Post by cjrv12 »

If you haven't already, I would encourage you to check in with the major recruiting agencies and also read the post below on "applying directly" and earlier in May the thread "married, non-teaching spouse..." For a reality check on the odds and barriers of teaching abroad with dependents. I fully understand and support your dream but there are some circumstantial barriers we are encountering. I'm a 14 years experienced high school science teacher with a Masters, 2 Bachelors, AP and IB certification and training and recently Search Assoc denied my application based solely on dependents (2 young kids, wife but she is independently employed and can work anywhere). Just a word of caution as you proceed. I'm sure others can offer more advice from the field. Wish you the best!
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Hello,

The thing schools are worried about is paying for your flights and larger housing needs, possibly schooling, for your family when only one of you is a teacher. You can find gyms anywhere in the Americas, but will you have enough to pay for them? I could be wrong, but in my teaching and travels, I have never seen a family-friendly South American city. Many of the parks are overgrown with weeds, have broken down facilities, and people don't generally go because of crime. Of course, this isn't true of all parks. I'm sure at the UNI fair though, you will find a school that will take you, but I'll say again that Central-South America is not the most family friendly, at least for foreign families, in and out of school. Tha is my opinion anyway.
gwenla

Post by gwenla »

Thanks for the frank advice. We have been reading the dire posts of some in similar situations, which is what prompted me to post here. My take away was that the recruiting agencies can be wrong, go to UNI, and direct apply via TIE.

What if my partner got a substitute license? Would that help him get a job and help us get a placement?

What if we told the school that they didn't need to pay for everyone's airfare?

Anyone else have any opinions about family-friendly SCA cities or locations?

Thank-you!
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

Gwenia,

Three dependents for a language arts teacher will be a tough sell. The fact that your children are not school age may help you as your children are not taking a seat from a full tuition paying student, which is far more expensive than airfares and the like.

I would encourage you to go for it, but keep an open mind. If your goal is to go overseas, then be open to the whole world. You have a better chance of landing a position in the Middle East or Asia. Indicating you are willing to negotiate on dependent benefits may help as well. In the past I have hired teachers in your situation but limited the number of annual airfares and the teacher had to pay out of pocket for health care. It may be a situation where you can stay at a post until your youngest is ready for school. Depending upon the city, you may have to live VERY frugally as the cost of living is high.

There is no such thing as a substitute license. Saying he is available to sub will not help you. A better bet for you if you get a position would be for him to tutor. You can make the same if not more money than subbing and he could have more flexibility over his schedule, so he could tutor when you can be home with the kids.

Good luck in your search. Casting the widest possible net will increase your chances.

Nomads
gwenla

Post by gwenla »

I appreciate the feedback!

Tutoring is a good idea.

We really want to become bilingual in Spanish, so that limits us geographically. I wonder what are the best ways to learn about cost of living?
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

Do an internet search for Mercer cost of living. The company annually ranks major cities. Their rankings do factor in housing, which may not be an issue if the school provides it. You can also get a cost of living report from the Economist Intelligence Unit. They do not factor in housing.

Hope this helps.
gwenla

Post by gwenla »

Thank you, Nomads!