one year ago

newchapter

one year ago

Post by newchapter »

So about this time a year ago I decided I wanted to teach abroad. I did a lot of research on this site and found the international teachers' Facebook page, too. I signed up with Search, got all my ducks lined up with them, signed up for job fair, cast a wide net, had Skype interviews, landed a fantastic job (top tier school!) and now here I am one year later at my new school and absolutely loving it! Just wanted to tell others to believe in yourself...it can be done!
UnCloudy

Re: one year ago

Post by UnCloudy »

Deleted. Best wishes!
Last edited by UnCloudy on Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

That's great, Uncloudy. Go to an early job fair. If you're in the states then the Boston fair is probably the best and earliest. Cast a wide net...don't limit yourself...don't take the first offer. These are just my humble opinions. You may land a good job early and not even need to go to a job fair. Also, take EVERY Skype interview whether you're interested or not!!! I highly recommend this as they are good practice! Also, you never know what can happen. I landed my excellent job because another excellent school contacted me, but I wasn't 100 percent sure about them. The guy was so nice he forwarded my name on to another top school and that is where I am now. Good Luck!! A year from now you'll be somewhere awesome I'm sure!
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

Can you post the link to the Facebook page please?
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2256955040/

It's a closed group. You have to ask a member to add you but shouldn't be too hard.
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

Deleted. Best wishes!
Last edited by UnCloudy on Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gwenla

Post by gwenla »

Thanks for the encouragement!
gibwise

Post by gibwise »

Unclowdy. My advice is that if the school looks like a fit and the job looks like a fit (and you have done your due dillegence - speaking to staff members etc) and its financially viable (with some potential to save) then take the job. only one caveeat to that which is if you have an interview with a dream school lined up.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Don't bite early and sell yourself short...a school in the ME offered me a job after one Skype interview. I knew I could do better. But some top schools like to hire early so if you know a top school is interested you might want to take it. There are some lists on this site of schools considered 'top tier'...take it all with a grain of salt, but if a school comes up on a few of those lists you can pretty much tell if it's a good school or not. I'm also a firm believer that the right school and you will find each other. Just ride the wave and you'll figure it out!
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

Deleted. Best wishes!