Applying directly to schools

cjrv12

Re: Applying directly to schools

Post by cjrv12 »

Search has explicitly said no to an application based on dependents alone. ISS is open, but requires a partner statement and cautioned against the odds. Good schools must want good teachers, right? I'm just stunned but determined.
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

No doubt your determination will pay off then if you have good experience, references, and present yourself properly in applications and interviews.
Honestly, job fairs are not the 'be all and end all' of finding work abroad, ISR is here to give you an idea of what it is like to work somewhere and when you are offered a post, you get details of salary then - most schools have been pretty up front with me at interview stage about what my trailing spouse would do and if not working, what realistic expectation We have of living a decent lifestyle on my salary alone. Search saves time in finding out the information and gives it to you up front before applying to help you sort out what may or may not be worthwhile, but it is certainly not the only way of getting the information you need.
Be prepared to spend A LOT of time preparing how you present yourself and your teaching experience (there are some great tips from another poster above) and then A LOT of time searching out suitable jobs and writing the applications. If you really want to teach abroad this is how to do it (and you can also try and network with colleagues who have taught at international schools for tips and contacts).
You'll get there!!
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

The only way to find out is to give it a go! Everyone has such different credentials, experience and powers of persuasion that it's not worth getting het up about unless you've experienced defeat yourself. Positive mental attitude!
tangchao

Post by tangchao »

I think there is a big issue with the number of children you wish to bring. Most international schools will offer free places for up to two kids but very few will allow for three.
cjrv12

Post by cjrv12 »

We have two kids, one of which would be a year away from starting kindergarten. But three dependents total with a non-teaching spouse (who works, but not as a teacher). We'll throw our efforts into the mix this year with full effort and see what happens. Pursuing a goal and dream is motivating! ISS will accept our application and we are also going to apply directly to schools as many of you suggested, though it requires a significant amount of time to do so. Anyone been to ISS fairs and can comment on them?
cjrv12

Post by cjrv12 »

Great news everyone -- landed a dream job! Interviewed and found a great position in Asia with a truly remarkable highly accredited school. Thank you for your advice because there were some dark moments in there after Search Associates said they would not accept my application solely based on dependents. We went with ISS, and in the end applied directly and also via ISS after seeing it posted on TIEonline initially. There are schools that are willing to hire a top teacher with dependents.

I can't wait to get started teaching abroad and have my family along for the ride!
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

Congratulations!! All the best for your new post. Hope to be in your position soon on e a suitable post is advertised!!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Congrats cjrv12! Good luck next year!
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

It is not that schools do not want teachers to have a family, many do because they tend to stay longer. The issue is economics.

High quality schools have many applicants. A teacher with a non-teaching spouse and two children can wind up costing the school $15,000 to $20,000 more than a single teacher due to more expensive health care (most schools pay 100% of the premiums, larger housing, and annual flights home.

If a school hires a teaching couple with two children, then they get two teachers for the cost of one teacher with non-teaching spouse and two children.

If the school is at capacity, your children's tuition could cost the school $40,000 to $60,000.

As others have said, he can happen at a top school, but it will not happen until the end of the recruiting season. Another thought is to broaden your search looking for some hidden gems that can accommodate a family.