Applying directly to schools

cjrv12

Applying directly to schools

Post by cjrv12 »

Like others, Search Associates has said they will not accept my application because of dependents (non-teaching spouse, though she can work anywhere, and two kids age 4 and 7, willing to teach anywhere). About me: AP biology teacher with IB training, 15 years teaching experience, lived abroad, Master's degree, and passionate about teaching abroad. I've been encouraged to apply directly to schools and this is my question: how do you identify job postings without the database support of recruiting agencies like Search and others? What kind of tools do you use to find job postings as soon as they are listed?
Schmedz

Re: Applying directly to schools

Post by Schmedz »

It sounds like you are in the US. In Britain, there are many educational job websites and schools advertise directly on those. I can't imagine there are not similar sorts of things available in a huge country like America.

Alternatively the schools' own websites list employment vacancies when they arise and on many of the bigger (better?) schools' websites you can sign up for job alerts. Nord Anglia offer a job alert service as do some of the other group providers.

It takes little more than Google searching to uncover all sorts of job opportunities abroad!
cjrv12

Post by cjrv12 »

TIEOnline has a nice job alert system, and I've heard of joyjobs too. It's fine to check individual school sites but with hundreds and hundreds I'm looking for a more consolidated place or system for checking these. And perhaps a bigger question: what has been your experience getting positions through that method versus Search Associates?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Just out of curiousity, can you teach chem, physics or math in addition to bio?

Chem/physics/math is the golden triumvirate of teaching. Biology is silver.

If you can teach a couple of those subjects at 11-12 level, you may quite likely land something. No guarantees, but more likely.

However, if the only subject you can teach is biology, you are going to be competing with a lot more teachers...just saying.

Good luck on your search - the nice thing is that it sounds like you have a job stateside. If you go international, you have to let your present school know, usually now in Oct/Nov if you are returning the next year - and then they post and hire for your position so if you don't land a job, you are left scrambling for something.

Slightly related question - does your spouse have a degree? Has he/she considered elementary school teaching? That way you are a teaching couple with two kids and you have a way better chance. Lots of info on the forums about programs - just search for CaliPro or Finedude because those are two of the ones who have posted a lot about it.

Good luck!

shad
cjrv12

Post by cjrv12 »

Good suggestions! I could do chemistry for sure as that was my professional background before teaching. My wife works in the field of international education and disability, with an advanced degree. She has considered EFL and is passionate about youth. Ideally she would continue in study abroad, international students in higher Ed going to the US, NGO work, inclusive education, etc. She can continue her current work but is open to teaching.
Bij Bam

Post by Bij Bam »

I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like your wife could really add something to the mix.

And don't worry - there are loads of jobsites for international teaching jobs out there. Some free, some for a minor fee. Check them for credibility as well as biases (for example: TES/British international schools, TIEonline/Asia and Middle East), and just go with the ones that suit your skills and wishes best.

Actually, I have been 'collecting' the employment pages of schools' websites for a while. It works quite well: bookmark them, put them in a bookmark folder by country, and every week or so I click on 'open all bookmarks in tabs'. Once you've set it up, it goes pretty quickly, and this way, I've found dozens of vacancies that I hadn't come across on any of the jobsites I check.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Cjvr,

having your wife as part of the 'team' makes you MUCH more marketable. As a teacher, she would also bring intangibles....

Just saying...

shad
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

Have been fortunate to receive offers from 3/4 of schools to which I applied directly and have never used a recruitment agent.

And the idea of my other half becoming a teacher would probably make me less marketable as he is so appallingly unsuited to teaching!!

I get that schools want to save on the housing/relocation and dependent school fees by employing teaching couples, but I would have thought that, logically, it is more likely to find a school that wants one specialty rather than having two vacant positions that happen to fit your exact qualifications as a couple...perhaps this is the case in schools with a higher turnover of staff? And I'm not a maths teacher, so my calculations as to probability are probably misguided!!

Also, what happens when one half of the teaching couple is a better teacher than the other??!
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

@cjrv12
As some posters mentioned, if you could teach another high school science or math (even middle school math), you could beat some competition.
If you want to apply for a sole bio teaching position, make yourself stand out:
1. Create a website or blog highlighting your academic and non-academic accomplishments, particularly showing evidence of your differentiated instruction. Instructional videos, both yours and those designed by your students to peer-teach, can give you an edge over others. Upload copies of student test scores and testimonials from your recent students and their parents.
2. If you could offer a solid activity or sport, say Yearbook or Robotics or Tennis, that would put you at an advantage as well.
3. Bookmark select schools and design school-specific cover letters and CV compatible with their mission and vision and email it to the right person.
4. Be thoroughly prepared for interview FAQs and quote your past professional experiences when you answer these questions. Do NOT give generic responses.
5. Provide evidence of your recent professional development and explain how it made a difference to student learning.
6. Show evidence of how actively involved you are, both inside and outside the classroom, at your current school.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I am surprised that Search dismissed you out of hand for having the three dependents: non teaching spouse and two young kids. Is this Search policy? I know having three dependents is a tougher sell, and that Search is in the business of getting people hired--that's how they get their money.

I'm just surprised, since you have so much experience, in science, with IB, and international.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Try signing up for UNI's job fair. By doing that, you also get access to a database.
cjrv12

Post by cjrv12 »

The surprise hit us too! It hadn't even occurred to me that SA wouldn't accept an application, but we did expect and asked for some reality testing to get a sense of how they would represent candidates. That's why information from others and experience applying directly or attending fairs unrepresented is helpful now as the season is ramping up. ISS has said they accept, but require the partner to add a statement clarifying their expectations and roles. The email from SA said: "I regret to inform you that I will not be able to accept your application for membership with Search Associates. I’ve carefully reviewed your profile, and I see that you’re a teacher with a non-teaching spouse, 2 dependent children, and with no prior international teaching experience." And also, "Because of the world economy as it is, many quality staff have been put out of work on the domestic fronts, and a good many of those people have flooded toward international schools as an option. The result is a saturated field of quality candidates for schools to select from. It’s a recruiter’s market, and they can afford to be picky, and have proven that they will be. In the past three years, about 40% of the schools we work with have passed on candidates with a non-teaching spouse alone. When dependent children are added in to the mix that percentage will be increased dramatically. My concern is that you might expend a good deal of time and effort into registering, getting confidential references, applying to many schools, and not even be able to land interviews."

I thought 15 years teaching advanced science, plus a background as a chemist for 7 years, and IB training it wouldn't be an issue of acceptance though I anticipated fewer offers because of dependents. My wife would be such an asset to a school with her administration and international education background. :) The tips are really useful. Thanks all!
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

Good schools will always want good teachers. No doubt there is a school that will snap you up when you send in your direct application. Perhaps well qualified candidates who have demonstrated the resourcefulness of seeking out the post and providing a tailor-made application letter might even be more attractive than someone from an agency!

Looking forward to hearing about your imminent job offer!!
Bij Bam

Post by Bij Bam »

Just want to give a heads-up to anyone who's still looking:

I've just had a sudden rush of 4 interviews in 4 days, ending in 3 job offers within 36 hours... All in Europe, all IB schools or candidate IB schools, and all of this without the help of an agency. Just applied directly to the schools based on ads on the school's website, or on jobsites like TES, Guardianjobs and Joyjobs.

So if you haven't found a position yet for the upcoming year, there's no need for despair yet. Just make sure you're right on top of new ads, because the hiring process is going extremely fast this late in the season!

And now I'm recuperating from a first-time-ever problem of having to *choose* from among three schools really eager to hire me... (But don't worry, I'm very happy with my decision :-)
porter1

Post by porter1 »

cjrv12 wrote:
> Like others, Search Associates has said they will not accept my application
> because of dependents (non-teaching spouse, though she can work anywhere,
> and two kids age 4 and 7, willing to teach anywhere). About me: AP biology
> teacher with IB training, 15 years teaching experience, lived abroad,
> Master's degree, and passionate about teaching abroad. I've been encouraged
> to apply directly to schools and this is my question: how do you identify
> job postings without the database support of recruiting agencies like
> Search and others? What kind of tools do you use to find job postings as
> soon as they are listed?

Are three dependents, even with great experience and credentials, that much of a game killer? I'v heard SEARCH pretends ageism isn't an issue, so are three dependents that much worse? Doesn't any school expect a teacher to have a family?