Teaching couples w/3 kids where are you?

Gereja

Teaching couples w/3 kids where are you?

Post by Gereja »

Hi,
We are experienced international school teachers who now have 3 kids. As we watch those with 3 kids attempt to move on and attend job fairs or not, seems their (our?) options are limited to QSI or Saudi.
Comments appreciated.
shadowjack

Re: Teaching couples w/3 kids where are you?

Post by shadowjack »

It IS possible to find work elsewhere - however, it also depends on your teaching areas and experience. If you are in hard to hire areas - maths and sciences - or are willing to go to hard to hire areas - then there might be opportunities.

My friends are out there with three, although a year or two ago they were down to two...
Gipper

Post by Gipper »

Shadowjack is spot on. We are at a large Asian school with 3 children. Many of the other large Asian schools also accept 3 from a teaching couple if they are Science, Math or Admin. Good luck.
mamava

Post by mamava »

International School Beijing will take teachers with 3 kids. One of our friends moved from there to HKIS and they have 3 kids as well.
teachingagain1945

Post by teachingagain1945 »

This problem surprises me. I thought teaching couples with kids would be just as marketable as teaching couples without kids. It could be argued that couples with kids may be more stable, not out partying as much, values more in line with school and community, etc. I guess the main drawbacks for the school might be free or reduced tuition for the kids, health insurance, flights, larger teacher accommodations.
mamava

Post by mamava »

It does cost the schools quite a bit. We have 3 kids and the tuition bill for them at our former school was almost $100,000 per year. Multiply that by 15-20 teachers' kids and it's a sizable dent in a school that gets all its funding from tuition payments. Then add in all the other bennies...families are great hires, but if you can choose to limit your hiring to 1 child per teacher (2 children max) the school gets whatever stability benefits and saves $$.
julierob25

Post by julierob25 »

I know a teacher at my school that has 3 children attending, I know a couple of teachers with 2 kids and I have 1. Some are pregnant. What do you teach? It is definitely not a problem at my school.