Good schools in Philippines for a 1st yr teacher?

CaliPro

Good schools in Philippines for a 1st yr teacher?

Post by CaliPro »

Thinking about trying to go to Philippines for my first teaching contract.

Looking for advice on schools and anything else someone might have.

Cheers
vettievette

Re: Good schools in Philippines for a 1st yr teacher?

Post by vettievette »

International School Manila, Brent, European International School, British School - Manila, and Cebu International School are the top 5 in terms of academics, teacher package, reputation, etc. There are smaller schools, some have good reputations and others are really dubious. One of the smaller schools - Chinese Int'l School - is growing and doing well, but mostly local faculty. Cebu just went through a major tragedy a couple years ago, but they seem to be bouncing back. They also don't pay as much as the Manila schools, but Cebu is a nice city w/ great beaches nearby. Most hiring is probably finished for the next school year and it is really competitive to land a position.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

Good info from Vettievette. I might add that ISM, Brent Manila and the British School don't really hire 1st year teachers. Their packages give them plenty of veteran applicants. Check the pay part of the site for a list of the remaining schools. You can have a great life in the Philippines on a modest income. For the most part it's a beautiful and foreigner-friendly place. I would avoid Cebu just because their package is so meager.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

Good info Vet, but as the other poster pointed out, those are the best schools in PI. Prob will not hire a 1st year teacher.

I am looking for the 2nd and 3rd tier schools.

I imagine I could get by pretty good/decent on 1,500 usd a month in the Philippines or 1,000 if accommodation is provided. What do you guys think the pay would be for the 2nd and 3rd tier schools?
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

You're correct - they're very selective. But I have heard of 1st year (as in their first year abroad) teachers getting through - I suppose it depends on the positions being filled, etc. If you're looking to get your feet wet - I'd apply to 'em all. Cebu is probably one of the more open schools to teachers w/ little to no overseas experience. Chinese Int'l School is also worth a look. As for the 2nd or 3rd tier - I'd avoid the schools in Subic and Pampanga, except for Brent Subic. I've heard horror stories: teachers not getting paid, etc. You want to be at a place that actually applies a real curriculum and provides good PD so future schools can take you seriously.
cdn

Post by cdn »

ISM has an internship program if that interests you.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

cdn wrote:
> ISM has an internship program if that interests you.

Id consider an internship for one year if it meant I could live in the Philippines.