Teaching Special Education but....

teachingagain1945

Teaching Special Education but....

Post by teachingagain1945 »

What are the chances of securing a contract teaching Special Education if I have only just recently become certified to teach this area but have no years experience teaching it. But I have been teaching upper elementary school for over 10 years. Would a reputable school consider my application for an elementary or secondary special education position?
shadowjack

Re: Teaching Special Education but....

Post by shadowjack »

Yes they would. You might not land a special ed position, but definitely elementary.

"Reputable" can mean many things, though, so do your homework. Had a friend who went to what he thought was a reputable school and he was one and done, because it wasn't what he thought. then again, he didn't do his homework.
teachingagain1945

Post by teachingagain1945 »

Shadowjack.

But that would be the thing. I'd like to apply to spec ed positions as I'm certified. But if there's no chance with no spec ed experience just my elementary experience then I won't waste anyone's time applying.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Teachingagain1945, if you don't apply, you won't know, though :-)

If it is what you want to do, you have two options:

apply to international schools right away for 2015-16

do two years at home teaching special ed and then apply.

There is no guarantee for ANYBODY that they will get a position and I have had friends who have gone recruiting after being overseas and come back empty handed, but still landed something near the end of recruiting season.

Follow your heart is what I advise.
klooste

Post by klooste »

I agree with Shawdow Jack's prose: follow your heart! Did you have a specific location in mind? Or are you moreso set to go anywhere in the world?
teacherguy

Post by teacherguy »

After a number of years teaching high school social studies internationally I returned to the USA to get a SPED endorsement to my teaching license. I was back in America for two years. When I applied for overseas SPED jobs I had trouble finding a job. Despite years of teaching, many schools considered me a new teacher as I had not taught SPED before. So I did not fall under their "two years experience" rule. The few offers I received were at less than desirable (for me) schools. I ended up taking a social studies gig.