Catastrophic Health Emergency.

Yo Teach'

Catastrophic Health Emergency.

Post by Yo Teach' »

Last edited by Yo Teach' on Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overhere

Re: Catastrophic Health Emergency.

Post by Overhere »

I can't answer your question directly but I can tell you that when teachers at our large Asian school suffered catastrophic health emergencies, including a stroke and a heart attack, the school stood by them. Now those teachers were able to return to work eventually so what would happen if they were at the end of their contract or unable to take up their duties again I can't tell you how our school would have reacted.
zanyplum

Post by zanyplum »

I'm in a rather large school in Asia. One of our teachers was diagnosed with cancer, and it was rather advanced. She was completely supported. After successful chemo, she returned to work eventually and is looking forward to starting a new school year here next year.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

It varies with each school's health insurance or lack thereof. I suggest asking that type of question in the second round of interviews and perhaps getting something like an email from HR with details before you sign a contract. I've also carried DAN insurance from time to time (google it if you are doing "dangerous" things like diving or mountaineering that most insurances don't cover).
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

People I know have been looked after, treatment done in-country, and life continues.

Honestly, NOTHING we do is safe, but we con ourselves into thinking it is. For instance, it is more risky to drive a car than fly on an airplane, but more people are afraid of flying than driving.

So...if you want to go overseas, go. If you want good healthcare, don't sign up for schools with crappy plans - turn them down and tell them why. Maybe they will improve them the next year.

Just my 2 cents.

Shad