Using only Search Associates?

teachingagain1945

Using only Search Associates?

Post by teachingagain1945 »

Is using only Search Associates a mistake? They do seem to be above the other options like ISS, TIE, etc. It seems like all good schools around the world are signed with them. I also have years of PYP, a graduate degree and many years overseas experience so hope I have a chance at the better schools. In the past I started my search too early but this time apparently I started too late!
Bij Bam

Re: Using only Search Associates?

Post by Bij Bam »

You may be late, but I don't think it's *too* late. I had an interview this morning, and another one planned for next week. Apparently, schools often end up with last minute vacancies due to teachers announcing rather late that they've found another job, or something like that. That happens even at the so-called good schools, and with your experiences, I'd guess they're likely to want to hire you pretty quickly.

Can't give you an opinion on Search since I've never been with them, but job boards like TIE, TES, IBO and joyjobs still have loads of listings. Just go out and apply, I'd say :-)

Best thing about being out looking for a job this late, is that everyone wants to go on holiday, so the application process is often quite speedy!
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

I have had success with Search Associates both times I was hunting for a job. I made sure all my references were in to Search and my file was active on the first day in August. I had interviews with three school in October and November and an accepted offer in early December. It is definitely better to start early rather than late. Best of luck!
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

I think it can be worthwhile to sign up for TIEonline in addition to Search Associates. I recommend it to folks. The $39 online subscription is a fraction of what one pays for SA, especially if one is going to be attending a hiring fair. At this point, TIEonline doesn't have as much posted this time of year either, but there tend to be jobs that are not openly listed with SA.

Whether it will help you out now, it's hard to say.
sassylassie

Post by sassylassie »

Agreed--if it's July and you are still looking for a job for the coming year, you need access to as many jobs as possible. I would echo the recommendation to use TIE, and post your resume. You will be contacted by lots of schools that have not posted any official openings on the website. Plus TIE has got to be one of the cheapest, easiest recruitment websites around.

My impression of Search is that it is very much tailored to the candidate with experience who has all of his/her ducks in a row and is looking for a job 8-10 months in advance. That's not a bad thing--that's typically what the better schools want as well. However, at this point, you are not really in that category. You are just looking for exposure to as many openings as you can find so that you will have a better chance of attracting the attention of a good school looking to fill an unexpected last-minute vacancy. With your credentials and experience, everyone is going to want you. Your competition at this point is all other teachers who have not been snapped up already--teachers with limited experience, lukewarm recommendations, or some other glaring "defect" in the eyes of the better schools who usually have the luxury of being picky.

Get your resume out there and see what offers come rolling in. Let schools know that you have options so they will present their best offer. The hiring process is much faster because there are fewer competitive candidates and they know they can't wait until the next fair to see who else is out there.
Bones

Post by Bones »

I'm beginning to wonder, with the rapid changes in interviewing through Skype, etc., if Search is becoming a liability rather than an asset? I get the impression that many schools are tiring of their fees (which are far more than the candidates), and all other things remaining equal....if you have a candidate who is with Search, and one who is not...might you hire the one who comes without the Search fees?

Curious as to your opinions!
twoteachers

Post by twoteachers »

I find the access to the database with job opening more valuable than anything else.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@Bones

Its less an asset now then in the past but its not a liability. If the ISs and recruiters didnt find value in SA, or ISS those premium agencies would cease to exist. The ISs are the real customers, the ITs are the commodity. If ISs want to get around fees they can, really an IS pays fees because they ultimately want to. Its easy enough to hire an external candidate and close the vacancy internally, or just quote the vacancy was a non-repped applicant. You shouldnt have any concern about marketability effects being repped by an agency, the IS will either pay or they wont, at most they may ask you to do something (or more accurately, not do something, such as report your availability).

That being said, there is a lot more opportunity to recruited outside of the premium agencies, in the past they needed the agencies because they provided an essential service. The avenues of recruiting meant placing print media ads in local and international papers, using university career resources, using governmental agencies or recruiters. It was all very slow, and expensive. Agencies use to do what was essentially match making. The outcome now is that a lot more can be done in house, using inexpensive resources.

The premium agencies will continue to evolve, or they will go away, they will become what the recruiters and ISs want, its really that simple.