Advice for a Planning Single Mom

sambamama

Advice for a Planning Single Mom

Post by sambamama »

Thank you to all the people who take time to answer these ISS forum questions, especially for the newbies like me.

I'm planning on applying not this job cycle but the following (for the 2016-2017 year) and I was hoping to get some advice about how to plan, areas that are good for single parents in terms of family friendly and affordable babysitters, and any tips for marketing myself. I know I'm not as marketable as a teaching couple or single, but I know it can be done...

About me:
I'm a single mom of one dependent (elementary school age).
By the time I apply, I will have taught for 10 years and have a Master's.
I'm certified in English Language Arts, ESL and Special Education; I'm also National Board Certified and AP English certified
I'm looking to add a Spanish cert since I'm also fluent in Spanish and Portuguese
I've led student dance teams, a school-wide mentoring program and community service student groups.
sid

Re: Advice for a Planning Single Mom

Post by sid »

You've got decent chances. No, not as marketable as a childless teaching couple encompassing DP Chem and an elementary teacher, but who is?
One child is not a deal breaker, and you bring other things to the table.
Your child's age might influence certain decisions on your part. If she's young enough to need an adult with her after school while you're still at work, when you have a PD day, etc, stick to places where it's economical to hire full time help. (There are lots of them.) If she's old enough to be left alone for a decent stretch of time, the world opens up more.
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

Sounds like Asia or Africa (and some parts of S. Am.) would be good for you. Easy to live on one salary, child-friendly and hired help very accessible.
Sounds like you have lots to offer.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I would focus on English and Special Ed. Forget the Spanish cert - if you try to go that route, you are going to be going up against experienced Spanish teachers with experience you don't have, and will dilute your effort and focus for the jobs that you are more likely to get.

Good luck!
Cali.Girl

Post by Cali.Girl »

I'm a single mom, with 15+ years of teaching experience. I will be moving abroad to my first post, along with my middle school child. In the interviews I had, my child was brought up once or twice by the interviewing schools. I don't feel like it was a big hindrance. I feel my preparedness (or lack of) for the interview was more important, along with my experience, of course. Peruse the internet and find sources for interview questions and answers. Also be prepared to ask them questions. Those, too, are on the internet. Good luck!