WASC Attack

teachingagain1945

Re: WASC Attack

Post by teachingagain1945 »

I've been involved in two situations like this. One was back in my home country where I did not get my wages at all for a job. It was pre-internet days. But I made it a pet project legally hounding my employer and I got my wages about 9 months later. The other time was helping an Asian friend of mine get her wages from her Australian employer. It took about 5 months but I got it. That was early days of internet. Very useful.
I would be creative. Just the thought for this school or WASC of some things that could happen or all the negative publicity may be all that's needed to get your money.
Here is who I would contact:
-60 Minutes (email as many people there are you can but who are relevant, even the individual reporters),
-email all embassies and consulates in the city where that school is. You could even email businesses there who may have staff with their children at the school, or at least considering that school.
-Is there a Better Business Bureau or Chamber of Commerce?
-I worked at a school in Europe that was applying for an award from either the UN or EU. The award was going to give the school some money and it was very concerned about its appearances and publicity. Maybe you could look into contacting them.
-post info at all the other reviewing websites, wherever you can.
-post at forums for the city of your school, especially expat forums for that city.
-did you get the job through Search Associates? Who was your associate? Get their name involved, although that might kill your chance of ever using them again. :P

Good luck!
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

This is indeed curious. Why did you get fired? You seem very vindictive in that you want to hurt the students graduating from the school as a way to avenge the inequity you experienced. I thin that speaks volumes about you and may be a glimpse into why the school dismissed you.
gladly_teach&learn

Post by gladly_teach&learn »

@Michelle "Why did you get fired?"

No reason was given, there were no formal evaluations, no due process and three other teachers just this year were in similar situation as my own. The school has a history of behaving in this way so much so that niether SEARCH nor ISS will have anything to do with them. It seems only WASC considers them worthwhile. Could it be, Michelle, that the school should not exist and certainly should not be acreditted by WASC?

Initially, and while I was still in China, I did contact a member of the board, a parent of one of the student's I taught, and he couldn't be bothered to help and could care less about my kids.

Having said that, my focus is WASC and not the students or the school or the students but if in the course of showing up WASC to be either corroupt or incompetent or both, should a few students get some reflected shit on them, I would have to say blame the school, not me.

@ Teachingagain45 - thanks for the constructive advice. 60 minutes is a good idea; I'm drafting them an email right now.
fke

Post by fke »

Another idea (that won't punish students) is to go to the Chinese Consulate/embassy in the States where you processed your visa. I know someone who worked for a dodgy school that never paid on time, mistreated teachers and was negligent with paying taxes for employees. She complained to the consulate where she got her visa (after she left the school) and someone else complained a year later. With this pattern, the school was denied work visas since the worry was they couldn't pay on time (a work visa is essentially the employer's promise that they will financially take after you so you won't be a burden on the state). And they couldn't hire from that consulate anymore/region.

On a simpler note, a friend in Germany left a school at the end of a one year contract (didn't quit, not fired) but the school refused her summer pay which was promised. She just told them she would contact a German lawyer, and just like that she got her pay. Good luck.
DeDee

Post by DeDee »

I wasn't going to comment on this. But, I'm shocked that you would allow innocent students to possibly be effected because of a a personal vendetta you have against a school and accrediting agency.

This statement "Having said that, my focus is WASC and not the students or the school or the students but if in the course of showing up WASC to be either corrupt or incompetent or both, should a few students get some reflected shit on them, I would have to say blame the school, not me." says a lot about YOU.

Are you really an educator? I have to agree with Michelle. If your attitude is any indication of the way you behaved at your school, I'm not surprised you were let go and with no warning, evaluations, or due process. The school probably didn't want to confront you for fear that you would go off on them. And, while I feel empathy for you and definitely think you should pursue any lost wages owing to you, I think you would better off expending your energies and passions into something else, such as a new job. Every wrong done to you does not require revenge, vindication, and retribution. The energies and vibes you put out in the world are the ones you will receive back. Good luck to you.
gladly_teach&learn

I have a Congresswoman involved!
The key might be the State Department: why are visas being granted to students that graduate from a high school that does not pay its American teachers? It turns out to be a fair question.

Its strange that so many on this site cry over the poor "wealthy Chinese" and yet all of those I contact in America get the logic: China has every right to do as it pleases but it has no right to WASC accreditation nor do Chinese students have a right to a university education in America. Its not rocket science just common sense.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

Food Stamps?

You need to head straight to Middle East or something and get (save) an emergency fund (6-12 month reserve) for things like this.
gladly_teach&learn

MedellinHeel: not just food stamps but help with paying rent and care of the American taxpayer and all because a wealthy Chinese man refuses to pay his workers while WASC looks the other.

That's my pitch and its working. The due process issue turns out to be a non-starter since I'm in an at-will employment State but the "leaving an American with little kids destitute" angle, well that dog hunts.

Its a hard road to till and mostly I'm ignored but I have a social worker, an Alderman and the ear of a Congress Woman and I'm sending on average 20 targetted emails per day and I follow up with a phone. I haven't even started on the Universities yet.

At the very least, I'll put WASC at the center of a controversy even if it takes some time.
interteach

Post by interteach »

Maybe you'll even learn how to spell along the way.
gladly_teach&learn

interteach syas: "Maybe you'll even learn how to spell along the way."

Because spellings what counts in a situation like this.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

After reading all this, I feel bad for you. However, one glaring question in my mind, since you seem very adept at using technology and the like, is why did you go to this school in the first place? I am assuming that you hadn't been at the school for dog's ages, meaning you were a fairly recent employee. You tell us that the place is well-known in international teaching, to the point where Search and ISS won't touch it. How did you end up there, then? Did you do your due diligence before you left home?

Just my curiousity coming to the forefront.

shad
interteach

Post by interteach »

Actually, spelling does count. It's one of the basic amenities of your profession. And you're asking to be treated like a professional.

I find it hard to believe that there were no warning signs about the school from which you were fired until it happened. If there weren't, then I question your observational skills more than the school itself. Schools that summarily dismiss teachers will display a whole raft of other ethical and operational dysfunctions. That you were willing to accept them, or unable to detect them, gives me pause when considering your overall sense of judgment. From your previous posts, it looks like you were willing to overlook them. That gives me pause when considering your overall sense of ethics.

You maintain you have been so wronged, but in your actions you seem so willing to allow others to be hurt in the name of your own justice. It's hard not to conclude from your writing that you're not much other than an entitled, Grade A nutbar who has few professional or ethical qualifications in your desire for retribution.
interteach

Post by interteach »

Case closed.
gengrant

Post by gengrant »

As much as I want to beat a dead horse, I do need to add my 2 cents here:

Why attack only WASC? Why not CIS or any other accrediting agency? While it is true that WASC (and all accrediting agencies) should take a closer look at some of these schools, they can only do so much in a site visit and follow up reports - making complaints does put schools on their radar and does raise the red flag to them, but there are many factors that go into accrediting a school - human resources management is but one of those factors.

Rather than focus on the accreditation of the school, why not focus your energies on the school itself. In China, each city has it's own Education Bureau - all schools, including International ones - must be registered with the Bureau and have certain requirements to remain viable and active in that city. Take your complaint to them and you'll probably have a better chance of causing change/improvement.

Just my thoughts.
gladly_teach&learn

gengrant said: As much as I want to beat a dead horse, I do need to add my 2 cents here;"

I don't know what you mean by a dead horse because it is by no means over. WASC is a sham organization run by a few sham artists and I'm working daily on it. Things take time. I have a senator involved, I have a complaint against the Department of State that ties to WASC and I'm just starting to contact the admission department of universities, specifically where graduates from this school in China went to, to let them know WASC is a sham organization.

As far as WASC only being able to do so much, I say that the two or three scam artists taking bribes at WASC do nothing at all. If a school such as the one that ripped me off has multiple complaints against it, I'm guessing WASC just demands more money from them. If you want to know who the biggest thief is at WASC, just log on to the website and you'll see his face.

Again, things take time but I'm not done. I'm just getting started.