Best place in Europe if looking...

curiousme

Best place in Europe if looking...

Post by curiousme »

...to avoid grey skies i.e. freezing, blue-skied winters paired with comfortably warm summers are perfect, but not regular dull days to bring on S.A.D? (Would love Germany, but avoiding for that reason.)
...for a safe place where kids can play out on their own and it's the norm to 'call on' their friends and neighbours (a good sense of community paired with safety)? (Anywhere with co-housing options definitely of interest.)
...a reasonable lifestyle in terms of salary against cost-of-living?
... for a multicultural society where an ethnically-mixed family won't be made to feel like circus freaks?
...for decent food?
...for green space?

Perhaps a rather tall order but gotta start somewhere...
tommypizza

Re: Best place in Europe if looking...

Post by tommypizza »

Not sure if you have ever been to Europe but unless you are in a very small town, you will never be regarded as a circus freak in any city. If you are, ever, its just because you are "there"...in their view...that's all and some cultures tend to stare more than others. You will find some schools that are outside the city but those natives are so used to the expat influx and will mostly welcome you...If you smile, they will smile back...well, uhhhh, maybe not always but a smile can go a long way. Unless you are in some "bad neighborhood", if someone is prejudiced against you, they will likely ignore you...or give you bad service...haha!

Just following your requirements, I have some suggestions...but one thing to note...generally the further South you go in Europe, the salary drops too. Savings potential is difficult in most of S. Europe. If you can buy yourself a Desk Anti-SAD light, there are great options in Germany. Anyway, you could try Madrid or Barcelona, Athens, Turkey, Zagreb, maybe Rome for that Mediterranean lifestyle. There is also Tunisia (Europe close)...but not sure what's going on there right now. I would say its very difficult or near impossible to support a family on one teacher salary in S. Europe. If you are not a teaching couple, and you have a spouse...the spouse usually has another professional job. It can be done but I'm sure you will not want to stay home to save money to live.

I think most cities in Europe are family friendly...this is a perception though...everyone has different expectations. I've taught in Europe and Asia...and I would say that anywhere in Europe is pretty good. Someone will disagree but l would not worry about it. Yes, petty theft happens a lot in Europe but you learn to live with that and be aware of your surroundings.

Good luck finding that job. Maybe you are better off looking in SE Asia...good weather, good salaries, safe etc. etc.
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

Thanks for that detailed reply. Have worked in Europe and did experience the 'circus freak' mentality: wasn't in a small town either :(

Also, I've 'done' Asia but looking to move back now - I'm from the UK. Have realised that sunshine is a must (or at least a lack of grey skies - just sucks the motivation outta me, lamps or no.)

We are a teaching couple thankfully.

From your info, Spain's sounding good. Maybe Portugal too?

Any other suggestions welcome.
Cailin

Post by Cailin »

Eastern or Central Europe has better pay and conditions than Western Europe - usually. Eg Prague, Busapest, Bratislava. And meet the requirements of sunny blue skies even in Winter.
sid

Post by sid »

tommypizza is right, the sunnier you want it, the less you can expect in salary and package. Eastern and Central Europe do pay better, Cailin is right there, but in my opinion there's plenty of grey sky to go around.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

According to my teacher friends of color, racism is definitely still alive in Europe, especially Central and East. And those are the parts of Europe where packages are best.

If you need sunny weather, and you're not willing to try a UV lamp (which I would highly recommend as a fellow SAD sufferer) then I think you're limited to the south: Portugal, Spain, maybe the south of France, like Marseilles, and Italy. You're not going to make much in any of those places.
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

So sounds like it's Portugal or Spain really. Can anyone recommend schools? We don't need to save - just need enough to cover day-to-day living. We are a teaching couple so even if only one of us secures a position, we've never had issues securing at least part-time work for the 2nd.

Oporto British School looks promising. Any others?
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

What about Switzerland too - isn't it cold but bright?