Chances of teaching abroad...

lakespar

Chances of teaching abroad...

Post by lakespar »

I graduated last May (2013). I began working on a Masters this past January (2014). I've started an application for Search Associates, but saw it's preferred an applicant have 2 years experience. I'm willing to teach pretty much anywhere albeit maybe 4 places. I prefer a place where I can work more towards paying off student loans and putting $$ in savings. I'm 27, single and no children. With me having no experience other than student teaching, will it be impossible to find a position for the 2015-2016 year? Teaching and traveling would be a dream come true. It's all I've talked about since I was kid. Do you have any advice, tips or general information that would be helpful in my quest??

Thank you in advance!! I appreciate it!! :)
Overhere

Re: Chances of teaching abroad...

Post by Overhere »

Definitely not impossible, but you just need to be open to all locations.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

You have a chance. There are many school out there that will take a chance on someone with education but no real experience. You don't say what you are qualified in which could make a difference (i.e. Secondary Math and Science, SPED may be more in need than Elementary, Social Studies, etc).

Since one of you big goals is savings potential, you are at a disadvantage in that many of the better paying schools will certainly require at least 2 years experience. The other drawback is that many countries are now requiring 2 years of experience in order to obtain a visa to teach/work in that country. That pretty much rules out China for you, which would have been one of your biggest potential markets. I would say try the ME for some decent schools that pay fairly well. Maybe someone will chime in about visa requirements there (and other likely countries that do not require 2 years in order to get a visa).

Bottom line is that your options are more limited but it is definitely doable. Do your research and then apply, apply, apply. Good luck!
whynot

Post by whynot »

And you need to be open to all salaries, within reason. If you can't get the $$ you want, consider an initial 2 year position with a lower salary as an investment. Then, with all other things being equal, you are in a good position...
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

There are schools in China (not great ones) that will hire people who are newly qualified teachers. I've met people working for other schools in my city just this year who were brand new teachers. The schools paid decently (say USD3,000/month and provided housing, airfare), which is not bad given the cost of living in China can be modest depending on one's lifestyle. I think it would be reasonable to save up to half of that salary each month without being extreme. These are not the kind of schools where teachers tend to stay beyond 2 - 3 years, but after completing that length of a contract you'll have further opportunities when you look again.

You should probably sign up for TIEonline. Search Associates very well may not accept you, or they'll try to push the intern option.

Part of this depends on what subjects you're qualified to teach. Math, science, economics would be easier to be hired for than elementary, history, English. But even in a low need area, a single teacher with no dependents could find opportunities.
lakespar

Post by lakespar »

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm certified in Early Childhood (PreK-3) right now. Once I've finished the Masters program, I'll be qualified to teach all elementary levels.

In one of the responses, the intern position with search was mentioned. I'm not quite sure what the difference is between an intern and a teacher. Is it just the length of time?
Cailin

Post by Cailin »

An intern position varies according to the school.
You at get some classes to teach, you may be a general dogsbody, you may be a permanent sub, you may be an office assistant, you may assist with boarding duties.....

You will be paid a lot less than a teacher and may not get housing benefits, shipping etc

Check out what each school offers its interns.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

eion_padraig wrote:
> There are schools in China (not great ones) that will hire people who are
> newly qualified teachers. I've met people working for other schools in my
> city just this year who were brand new teachers. The schools paid decently
> (say USD3,000/month and provided housing, airfare), which is not bad given
> the cost of living in China can be modest depending on one's lifestyle. I
> think it would be reasonable to save up to half of that salary each month
> without being extreme. These are not the kind of schools where teachers
> tend to stay beyond 2 - 3 years, but after completing that length of a
> contract you'll have further opportunities when you look again.

Not sure how schools are still getting around the 2 years experience after graduation requirement for Chinese visas but then again this is China and anything is possible. Yes, if you can get into China, you could find some decent schools that would be willing to give you a chance.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

I thought the rule with China was 2 years experience OR a Masters, which the OP will have. I could be wrong about that rule since things change frequently with visa regulations.

Don't do the intern route if money is a goal of yours. It can be a great opportunity--it's how I got my foot in the door of IT with no experience, but you trade off that opportunity for little money and fewer benefits, IME.
tommypizza

Post by tommypizza »

More and more int. schools are putting more resources in their EC programs. Some of the best schools in Europe are building dedicated facilities and have used their EC programs as large part of their marketing plans. You can find a job...you will need to manufacture some luck though...be relentless...you gotta be in the right place at the right time for the right school. You can get a job...and for your 1st job...its not a bad thing if you end up at a bad school. You have time to end up where your ideal is. Its sort of cliche, but if you are flexible, you will find a job.

Unless you have not been a student teacher, I would not intern. There are those that finish their teacher program by student teaching/intern abroad. I think that is awesome but I would never do that if you have a Master's. You are better off trying to move to a place where you want to be...start subbing...work your way into an assistant job...a teacher leaves and you are in the right place at the right time.

A lot of this depends on your desire. Go for it!
cdn

Post by cdn »

Some really great schools have intern programs that might work well for you. My school takes on 3 interns a year and they do a wide range of things. As far as I know, all 3 were consistently subbing throughout the year. One did well enough to earn a position at the school.