Demand for IBDP social studies teachers

lookingforlefty

Demand for IBDP social studies teachers

Post by lookingforlefty »

I currently teach IB Econ along with a couple other less useful (non-IB) social sciences.

I apologise for the "chances" nature of this post, but this might help me and others get an idea of what kind of recruiting season is coming up.

Thanks for the help below.
Last edited by lookingforlefty on Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
HereThereEverywhere

Re: Demand for IBDP social studies teachers

Post by HereThereEverywhere »

Your situation sounds similar to where I was not too long ago.

Yes, there is demand for econ teachers and its far less grim than for general social sciences. However, if you want to teach exclusively IB econ that is not too realistic. You may find a job at a large school in which its all IB econ, but those large schools are also usually demanding more from their teachers and if you, "don't coach... bring anything exceptional" then those schools won't be interested.
I would suggest you find some things that you enjoy to do AND would look good on your resume. Find a position at a school you would enjoy and spend a couple years beefing up your resume. I would suggest that next hiring season you look at China or the ME for such positions. Then in a few years you might have a chance at finding an all IB econ teaching position.
sitka

Post by sitka »

Most are DP Econ/DP Business or DP Econ and MYP Humanities.

Big schools will occasionally have only econ teachers, but not having a degree in economics is a pretty big knock against you.
lookingforlefty

Post by lookingforlefty »

I don't mind teaching other subjects.
Last edited by lookingforlefty on Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
HereThereEverywhere

Post by HereThereEverywhere »

Its good to have econ or business as part of an initial degree, but not 100% necessary even in the best schools. I would say don't bother going to seek a degree, but maybe look at IB or Triple A classes as a way to beef up your knowledge of IB Econ, put some more education on your resume, and to make connections with other IBDP teachers.
Yes, you are probably right to continue focusing on econ. In my experience it gives you a leg up in landing a job. No, going to a school in China that is not well known will not mean that good schools won't look at you.
Yes, I highly recommend the first BKK fair. Just this past year I went to the fair and had lots of interviews and landed a job teaching at a very good school. I know for certain much of that had to do with having experience in IB econ.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

@lookingforlefty

I would say that with China (and the Middle East from what my friends say and what I see posted) there are lesser know schools that are okay, and there are real bottom feeder schools to avoid.

In China, the biggest problem would be winding up at a Chinese private school where they are primarily serving Chinese students with very low level English skills. However, there are enough 2nd/3rd tier international schools that enroll international students (cannot enroll Chinese nationals) that would consider someone like you. If you're willing to look beyond the big 3 (Beijing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong), to places like Suzhou, Hangzhou, Nanjing, Tianjin, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Chengdu, etc., then I think you'll find some decent possibilities in cities I think are quite liveable. You might even find an opportunity within the big 3 because there are so many IS located in those places. The savings potential in China can be excellent (Hong Kong isn't as good generally).

My school hired someone like you (education background, some teaching experience) without IB experience to teach IB economics and non-IB history. The school paid for training, so someone who already has experience teaching IB would be looked at positively. Being able/willing to run extracurricular activities (Model UN, Debate, Community Service, National Honor Society, etc) is of value for sure, but it doesn't have to be exceptional. I think the willingness (and the proof that you've been willing in the past) is what is important.

Good luck.