Whats on your job hut wishlist?

CCKelly

Whats on your job hut wishlist?

Post by CCKelly »

Hi all!

I'm new to the forum and teaching internationally is something I've been thinking about doing for a while now. Oddly enough I have been working in accounting recruitment for the last couple of years and now that I'm seriously looking into this as an option, I'm blown away by how hard it seems to get a job teaching internationally - and at the lack of destination and up to date information provided to us all when you compare it to other industries!

Granted I have't signed up with Search or ISS, but I am curious, what would you like to see change so that finding your next job would be easier/ stress free?

I for one would like to see a full profile of the school I'm applying for online before I apply. OR have somewhere that electronically matches my experience/ skill set with schools. I also find job fairs near on impossible to attend $$ wise.
Cailin

Re: Whats on your job hut wishlist?

Post by Cailin »

Yes, it can be expensive to attend a job fair.
BUT it can give you te opportunity to have several interviews over a short period, to see schools' presentations and get a feel for the school, to meet the people you will work for/ with. It's an investment in time as well as money.
I say this as somebody who has only attended 2 fairs. It is a gamble. The jobs listed on the site ahead of the fair may not materialise. But others may. The first time I went there were only 3 openings in my field. I interviewed for all three and came away with an offer for my first choice. At the second fair there were many more openings and I came away with several offers.
But it is xhausting, and stressful. I do not know if I could do it with jet lag. Fortunately I've not had far to travel.

Some people have been able to secure positions ahead of tag fair season by applying directly to schools of choice and having Skype interviews.
Best of luck.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

I think it's totally worth it to sign up with an agency (I did Search) and go to a fair. If you sign up early you can spread out your costs. This year is my first time out and I landed a great job. So, I'm probably biased about the use of an agency. I also signed up with TIE online but didn't like it or really use it at all. When you sign up with an agency and can get into the database you get a better idea of what schools are offering.

As far as wish list I can't really say. We're the ones looking for jobs so our comfort and what WE want isn't really a school's priority. You have to smile, put on a suit/dress, and just go through the process. If you've got credentials, experience, and (let's be honest) the look I'm sure you'll land a decent job! Good luck!
sitka

Post by sitka »

The fee for SA or ISS exists primarily to screen out candidates who are not committed. Revenue primarily comes from the school. If you aren't willing to pay the $300, you aren't really "seriously looking into it as an option".
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

All international school teachers should be informed about hidden taxes, particularly if teachers' kids tuition will be taxed and the appropriate rate. Any decent school would create a(n) (e-)handbook that explains what new teachers should or shouldn't ship, dos and don'ts in the new country, housing and healthcare options, their affordability and other settling costs, necessity of driving to work, employment options for trailing spouse in the local market etc.

I'm sure all this information can be scattered under various government/private websites, but if the school can pool the information into a single booklet, teachers relocating will at least be less anxious and focus more on preparing better for their new classes / lessons.
klooste

Post by klooste »

I'm sure SEARCH and ISS are great resources to find jobs, but I didn't land my teaching position through either of these websites.

I would suggest attending your local University job fare-- thats how I found a position, and the opportunities were quite abundent. I had options, in other words: I could have chose England, Korea, Japan, but I chose China (girlfriend reasons...=p <3). When I say I had options that does not mean I got interviews for these positions; I mean schools from these countries were looking to hire a few teachers, and thought they might hold a stand in my Uni's gym.

The best part (at least to my knowledge) is university job fares are FREE! Some people hate my opinion in that I believe the spread of information should be free, but I'll withold it for this post =D.

Ironically, most of the positions held at my Uni's job fare don't hire fresh graduates, they typically require a few years teaching experience. I got a little lucky: my volunteer helped pad my resume (according to my recruiter anyway). So if you have teaching experience it is definitly a plus, but volunteer speaks quite loud as well.

My point: attend your local Uni's job fare and see if you can get a bite.

Good luck =D