How would you rate your new school?

fine dude

How would you rate your new school?

Post by fine dude »

As many of you'll be relocating to a new school in a new country, how many of you would rate / view positively your new school in terms of student diversity, facilities / resources, leadership, compensation, PD, work-life balance etc.?

Did any of you already visit your new school over the spring break?
marieh

Re: How would you rate your new school

Post by marieh »

I was unable to visit mine before signing the contract, but I would rate it very highly based on my interactions with prior/current staff members and the administration. The school caters primarily to dual-citizenship locals (something I prefer) and the available resources are impressive. There are also regular opportunities for PD and the compensation more than makes up for the less than desire able location.

I'm really quite excited for my move, as it seems like this is the perfect position for a first year teacher. Hopefully there won't be any negative surprises.
buffalofan

Re: How would you rate your new school?

Post by buffalofan »

How can we rate our new schools in June? I'm excited to be moving on, but I'm not pretending that I really have a good feel for my new school right now. I met my new principal at the job fair and we really got on well, which I think is always a good sign.
klooste

Post by klooste »

I haven't seen the school yet, but I've conversed with the principal and my DH. My school stores all it's resources on Filezilla-- does Google docs not work in China? I'm quite excited to start. So far the school has given me a really strong first impression!
sitka

Post by sitka »

Google anything works on an infrequent and unpredictable basis in China. For example, Google will not work for roughly the week before or the week after June 4th every year. Google refuses to keep their servers in China (where the government would have access to them), so they have issues with the Great Firewall.
klooste

Post by klooste »

sitka wrote:
> Google anything works on an infrequent and unpredictable basis in China.
> For example, Google will not work for roughly the week before or the week
> after June 4th every year. Google refuses to keep their servers in China
> (where the government would have access to them), so they have issues with
> the Great Firewall.

Thanks for the tips sitka. I'll move my google drive to my 2TB passport!
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Since many of you have spent nearly two months at your new school, how would you rate it in terms of everyday teaching, discipline problems, admin support etc.? Do you get the net pay and benefits as per the contract? Have you done any PD yet?

As far as me, I'd say pretty much 'Yes' to all of the above questions (discipline problems are almost non-existent) and quiet happy to be where I'm right now.
marieh

Post by marieh »

I have nothing bad to say about my school two months in, except that our cafeteria food is quite awful depending on the day. A small price to pay for an otherwise brilliant teaching environment. I've also not done any PD, but I'm scheduled to go to an out-of-country workshop next month (school funded, of course). I'm extremely happy where I am and already thinking about extending.