Lack of resources

canadian_inabox

Lack of resources

Post by canadian_inabox »

Greetings all I have signed on to a school for the upcoming academic year in a part of the world I have never been to, Colombia, after speaking with an American teacher there who said she loved the school but the first couple of months were very tough for her because the school lacks resources.

I wanted to ask the seasoned international teaching professionals how do you handle this one? I taught for years in Canada at a good public school and one year in a Middle Eastern school where in both places this was not an issue. I will be teaching grades 11 and 12 English and just looking for some insight. I know the internet is a vast one, where you can find worksheets and activities, anyone have specific favourite sites? or any other avenues? thanks.
fine dude

Re: Lack of resources

Post by fine dude »

What curriculum is this?
canadian_inabox

Post by canadian_inabox »

They referred to it as American core curriculum.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

curiousme

Post by curiousme »

I've actually been working over the last several years to ensure my resources are all online. I create Google Sites and use Google Drive religiously as well as getting extra storage from sites like Mega & Dropbox. As long as you can print, copy or display (via projector) you can find out your courses and get ready. In this day and age, it shouldn't be a massive issue methinks.

Also:
-laminated paper makes a great alternative to mini whiteboards
-keeping folders for resuable cut-ups saves time & hassle the next year
-keeping paper that's only been used on one side can be used for either of the above, or for printing on the blank side
-using current media materials can greatly cut costs / reliance on textbooks and other non-authentic materials
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

I'm with curiousme. All my resources are digital and stored in Dropbox. I have no paper resources at all.

I am upper elementary/middle school teacher, so these might not be applicable to you;

www.teacherspayteachers.com
http://estore.onthemarkpress.com/
http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/