Fastest way to get certified for non-US citizen?

trundlebundle

Fastest way to get certified for non-US citizen?

Post by trundlebundle »

Hi,

I'm looking for some info on the fastest way to get certified for a non-us citizen.

I'm Canadian (also have dual citizenship with Ireland so technically also an EU citizen).

I have a 3 year BA in psychology, minor in anthropology.
I've worked as an IT - for 10 years at a university (non-academic job).

I've done the CELTA and a little bit of part-time work as an ESL teacher part-time and I really enjoy teaching (but I don't really enjoy ESL teachers' low salaries) so I'd like to teach at an international school.

After doing some reading on these forums, I've looked at the teacher ready site, but they state "To be eligible for a state of Florida teaching certificate an individual must be a U.S. citizen" - I'm not a U.S. Citizen :(

I've also looked at the Texas teachers alternate certification and they seem to indicate that you may be able to get a H1-B visa there, but they require a 4 year BA. - I only have a 3 year BA :(

I'm currently going through the painstaking process of looking at the universities in Canada and seeing which ones offer a 1 year B.Ed with the lowest amount of pre-requiste requirements (e.g. having to have taken uni level math course).

Another thought since I'm an EU citizen is to get certified in england, scotland, ireland, wales.. but I haven't looked into that much yet.

As far as I'm aware there are no alternative certifications like Teacher Ready that are available in Canada or UK.
nalfc

Re: Fastest way to get certified for non-US citizen?

Post by nalfc »

Try the IPGCE at Sunderland University - not sure of the ins and outs but it may be suitable
Mixedbagofnuts

Post by Mixedbagofnuts »

Go online and register to take the Praxis. You will have to take the tests at their sites. You can pass the test in a specific area and at that point you would of passed the educational certification. Call them and ask them questions. I believe this is a fast way and the Praxis is a recognized test.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Micky

Post by Micky »

Mixedbagofdonuts is incorrect. The Praxis Exams are a requirement of most states to be certified to teach, however there are no states which will grant certification based only on a Praxis Exam. It is only an addition to the required coursework or degrees needed to be eligible.

You might try http://www.phoenix.edu/ or a similar online university. They offer some degrees for non Us citizens and it depends on you how soon you can complete the required course work. They should also be able to direct you to which state is the easiest to get certified.

This website can you give the requirements for each state http://www.teaching-certification.com/t ... tions.html

You should verify the information as it is not a state maintained website. Requirements frequently change as they are mostly different for all of the 50 states plus DC so it might not always be updated.

Also if you do go the online route it may be possible that you can find an international school to hire you as you work on your certification.

Good Luck
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

I'm using Teacher Ready Online Certification Program right now and I can tell many of those enrolled are not from the US.

https://www.teacherready.org/

It leads to FL state certificiation
sid

Post by sid »

Check carefully. Every state I've ever checked on requires US citizenship, including Florida. Check the Teacher Ready site and it will tell you the same. I'm pretty sure it's required in all states. All you get is a transcript from your university that you've completed all the course and Praxis requirements one would normally need to get a certification, with a note that you are not eligible. This works pretty well in many countries around the world, but if you want to teach in the US, or anywhere, you should check how it is viewed where you want to go. Good luck.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Have to disagree with Sid on this one.
@trundlebundle
I'm not from Utah, but check this one out.
http://www.schools.utah.gov/cert/Licens ... ialed.aspx
sid

Post by sid »

Cool, so it looks like Utah is an option. That's the challenge with 50 states, unless one checks all of them, one never really knows.
For the OP's original question, I'm looking at the balance between the Utah requirements and the Canadian one-year BEd option. It might be easier, faster, and more transferable to go the Canadian route. With a Utah license, you can only teach in Utah, and if the other states (or most of them) require US citizenship, you can't transfer that license to another state. With a Canadian license, you have options. Plus, a year's course may be easier than a three-year program while teaching full time. And Canadian unis, of course, are cheaper.
Good luck.
Micky

Post by Micky »

The OP stated he needed or wanted it to teach in an international school, so transferability wouldn't be an issue. I am certified through Utah and never had an international school I worked at or interviewed with have a problem with certification from there.

The thing with Utah though is that if you don't teach there for 2 or 3 years you end up with a level 1 license that has to be renewed every 3 years and requires quite a bit of professional development points which I find challenging to always fulfill when teaching abroad.

I do agree Canada would probably be cheaper though.