ISS or Search Feb 2015 Boston Fair?

OVRS

ISS or Search Feb 2015 Boston Fair?

Post by OVRS »

I plan on attending a Boston February 2015 fair, and am not sure which to go to. ISS is before Search, so is that one better to attend? Do admins hire at the first fair in general, or do they wait until the second one in Boston as they often sign-up for both.

Is one organization preferable over the other as far as access to resources and communication, etc.?

Thanks!
tommypizza

Re: ISS or Search Feb 2015 Boston Fair?

Post by tommypizza »

If you are a highly qualified for the position you seek, you will be on the schools radar way in advance of the fairs. If you go to Search and you are a strong candidate, the school will wait to make a decision after they have met you.
journey61

Post by journey61 »

There are several things to consider. Are you single or part of a teaching couple? Do you have international experience or is this your first go at it? My advice is that if you are interested in Search, make sure they will allow you to attend the fair before you pay the $. I planned to attend the Search Fair in Boston this past year, but was denied to opportunity because I was single with no international teaching experience. The Search Rep I assigned insisted I go to the later San Fran fair even though the schools I was interested in were going to be in Boston. Of course this was after I had already paid the money. So, I jumped ship and went with ISS. Their fair was the week after the Boston fair. It all worked out fine and I ended with 5 good offers and I'm super excited about where I'm headed. I would add that the Search database is far superior to ISS, but ISS people were far better to work with for me. My two cents. Good luck!
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

I thought I read somewhere that Search and ISS alternate fair date every year. This year (2014) Search was first in Boston so next year (2015) ISS will go first. I went with Search because the database is bigger. I landed a great job so it worked for me.
OVRS

Post by OVRS »

Thanks for your great advice. I have heard that the Search database is superior, so if they were the first fair in Boston I would attend. That is the source of my conundrum, since ISS will be first. Do I wait for the Search, or is there the risk that jobs will be taken at ISS?

There is a post that brings up a good point that if I am highly qualified I will be on the radar prior. Another concern is that there are a lot of highly qualified candidates who will go to ISS, instead of Search. Do a lot of candidates who sign up have interviews via Skype prior to the fairs?

I have signed up for TIE to start looking for positions before, so the Feb fair is a back-up plan.

Again, thanks for the input!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

ISS fairs are less crowded than Search - they often handle different schools, so there is some, but not a huge total overlap.

You will find good schools at both. Perhaps less competition at ISS.

Just my 2 cents. Smart to join TIEonline - that is what I use in addition to Search, as well as a paid membership to ISR.

Shad