Do They Hire A Native Spanish Teacher in Mexico?

elvato

Do They Hire A Native Spanish Teacher in Mexico?

Post by elvato »

Does anyone know if they would hire a native Spanish speaking Spanish teacher for schools in Mexico?

or Do they usually just hire locally?

I am educated and raised in the States with 11 yrs. exp. some IB and some non-IB. ( BS in Mid. Level Educ. with Spanish cert.)
(MA in Curr. Inst. w/Supervision)

Thank you all for reading and those who respond.
Mixedbagofnuts

Re: Do They Hire A Native Spanish Teacher in Mexico?

Post by Mixedbagofnuts »

That is a good question. I have asked a friend who works at the American School Foundation in Mexico City and her response was this.

" Most of the Spanish teacher positions are filled by local mexicans who hold onto these jobs for an eternity. Being the American School and having a high pay ( for Mexico not high pay in general by other country standards) makes this job very competitive and if anything scarce. Do they hire only locals? In this school, I have yet to see a teacher from outside Mexico come and teach Spanish but that doesn't mean they wouldn't especially if they have IB experience. The school will usually post openings around Oct/Nov/December on the website. There is also a local hiring fair that is advertised on the website, contact the Human Capital department for dates on this. Reach out to the Human Capital department at ASF and have her speak to someone by the name of Elisa Penela who is the head or Karla Campos who is an assistant. They would certainly be able to answer any questions that this person may have. Good Luck"

There you have it.
REmmerink

Re: Do They Hire A Native Spanish Teacher in Mexico?

Post by REmmerink »

I reckon it depends on what you teach...

I work at an international school in Monterrey and most of the staff here are Mexican, topped up with a couple of foreigners (mostly from North America).

However, I think that your chances are as good as any