Selling Out for the Money

wrldtrvlr123

Re: Selling Out for the Money

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

As far as I know/have heard, the cracking down is mostly geared to making certain that teachers have at least 2 years experience after receiving their college degree. There may be some further checking to see that your degree matches your teaching subject but not sure. I would be interested to hear if someone has any more recent/specific info.

As for China being too popular, I wouldn't let that deter you from applying. There are SO MANY decent to great schools in multiple locations that landing a good gig even in Beijing or Shanghai is certainly not an impossibility. Even with the rising costs, it is still possible to live a nice life and save some money without being at an ISB or WAB (top Beijing schools),
jakegittes

Post by jakegittes »

That would be a huge deal if China required the college major to be exactly the same as the teaching subject. For instance, can a poli sci major now not teach history or econ, or can, say, a genetics major now not teach biology or chem?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

No, but it would be like Turkey - an English major can't teach History, but can teach English, or Writing, or LIterature. A science major can teach science, but not economics, etc.
jakegittes

Post by jakegittes »

But Turkey is quite specific about the link between your major and your subject. I was a political science major. In Turkey, I can't teach any IB subject, as far as I know. Can anyone say if China is the same situation?
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Sorry to cause possible needless concern. From what I can read/see it just looks like they are trying to crack down on the many english teachers teaching on tourist or business visas. You wouldn't want to be at a school that doesn't secure you a proper working visa anyway. Maybe someone on the ground will settle it but so far it just looks like as long as you have a bachelors and 2 years experience you would be fine.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

China is not that specific