New - saying hello. Plus a "can we do this?" question.

UnCloudy

New - saying hello. Plus a "can we do this?" question.

Post by UnCloudy »

Deleted by The UnCloudy's. Sorry.
Last edited by UnCloudy on Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newchapter

Re: New - saying hello. Plus a "can we do this?" question.

Post by newchapter »

Go for it! Don't get caught up in 'am I good enough'...I decided last summer to sign up with Search (I think better than ISS but only my opinion) and joined this site to read reviews and gather information. My advice is to sign up and get all your ducks lined up by August/September. Don't get discouraged if you don't hear anything yet from schools. Sign up for a conference as early as you can. (I did Cambridge) Things will start ramping up in December...I had a handful of schools want to Skype before conference. My best advice is to take any and ALL Skype interviews even if you're not even remotely interested. They are good practice and you never know where they'll lead. You can always turn a school down. I took a Skype interview with a school in Hong Kong I wasn't totally sold on, but I was honest and interviewer was super nice. He passed my name on to another school (Tier 1) and they contacted me the very next morning...had a few Skype interviews and I met head at conference and signed on the dotted line...I'm all set to go in July! By the way I have no PYP (you'll hear all about that if you peruse this site) and only a Bachelor's (2 Bachelor's actually) degree. I have a lot of experience at a good private school and had great recommendations. I am also single with no dependents which isn't a teaching couple but next best thing. While many would probably have told me since I didn't have any PYP or international experience I wouldn't have a good chance, I chose to believe in myself and go for it! There's a list on this site somewhere of what many consider the top 10 or so schools in Asia - I'm going to one on the list! My advice is to just believe in yourself and make the decision that you want to teach abroad...then go for it!
Last edited by newchapter on Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
sid

Post by sid »

The Physics can be a huge boost, especially at AP level. Have your husbad learn as much as possible about DP Physics so he can put some bon mots in his cover letter and intelligently answer the question "How would you adapt your teaching to meet the requirements of the DP course?"
Librarians used to be an up and down position, some years in demand and others not much available. But with the tech piece I think this is changing. If you can highlight your skills supporting teachers with the use of tech to support teaching and learning, highlight that you're an active modern teaching librarian, not a traditional "shush from behind the circulation desk" librarian, you'll be in the best position to find positions.
And get that license renewed today. It's a flat-out requirement for a work visa in some countries.
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

Deleted. Best wishes!
Last edited by UnCloudy on Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

@UnCloudy - I just reread my post...when I said 'conference' I meant job fair. Hopefully you knew that! Sorry...so much going on...finishing up at my school and getting ready to go abroad.

Good Luck in your search! It'll happen!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

YES YOU CAN! Both you and your hubby seem to have great qualifications that schools will be interested in using. Good advice about the DP - that way he covers the AP, IB, and none of the above schools.

Search fair in Bangkok is the early fair. With no experience, it is a gamble. London is probably better. Boston is also good. San Fran is late.

Good luck!
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

Deleted. Best wishes!