Speech Pathologist positions

EllieSLP

Speech Pathologist positions

Post by EllieSLP »

Hello everyone,

I've been practicing in my field for 11 yrs in US and Canada mainly in school and outpatient (not in a hospital, but as part of the health board) settings. I can speak French well and get by in Spanish. I would like to look for a position in South America, Africa, or Europe (no pref). I know my field is specialized, but I'm not sure where to look. I'm not interested in a DoDD position (I was offered one for Japan in 2013, but turned it down) and by looking at job postings for my professional association, not many positions come up. On the other hand, I know a few schools do hire SLPs, but want to know where they are posting them. Any suggestions on how I can start my search? I'm currently a director at my current company, but am OK with an SLP position for the 2015-2016 school year. Thanks a lot.
eion_padraig

Re: Speech Pathologist positions

Post by eion_padraig »

Some of the bigger IS probably have SLP on staff, but it's a niche area to be sure. I'd probably do some looking at bigger, established IS and check out their web sites to see if the list in house SLP.

Do you know any folks working at IS as SLP already? I bet those folks get to know each other fairly well and might now of openings. I've not met any SLP at the international conferences I've been to yet.

Good luck.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

There are positions out there but the odds are stacked against you simply because of the limited number of schools that hire fulltime SLPs. I know that ASIJ in Japan and ISBeijing have f/t SLPs and would figure that some other schools in that 1st tier would do the same. As for openings, I believe that Search Associates lists SLPs among their many categories of teachers, counselors, admin etc. I would look into that to confirm and go with SA if you are serious about seeing what is out there.

I think that your preferred locations may also inhibit your chances. The vast majority of schools in Africa would not be in a position to hire you (and South American schools to some extent) and Europe is basically the hardest job market to crack. Asia would probably be your best bet do to sheer number of relevant schools. I know that Beijing had at least one int'l school and one special needs int'l school that hired SLPs and that a number of other SLPs made a living servicing smaller schools and seeing clients privately.

Why did you turn down DoDDS? Japan is an amazing place to live and work (depending where you are at) and DoDDS is a pretty good gig compared to the vast majority of int'l schools out there (especially in Europe).
EllieSLP

Post by EllieSLP »

Thanks both of you for your responses. I do know a couple SLPs who work internationally, but they are either working for DoDDs or they were local hires as they have permanent ties to the area. I have been in touch with SA and ISS and both informed me of a position in China. I'm not sure if I want to go there as I have a 4 yr old and am really worried about the quality of air there. Nonetheless, I will really think about it. I preferred Europe, Africa, or South America as we speak French and Spanish and we have family in these areas. Hearing your feedback was helpful and I need to figure what I want to make a priority. How can I figure out the biggest IS schools? Thanks again.
slashnunn

Post by slashnunn »

Here's another option for Asia if you decide to go that route: http://www.jcsrs.edu.hk/
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Essentially you're generally looking for 1st tier schools. They have the money and the school enrollment to justify hiring a SLP. And not all of them will have SLPs. Since 1st tier is an arbitrary term, there is no centralized list.They tend be the schools that people talk about on ISR as being tough to break into. I'm much more familiar with the schools in Asia that might have them.

Western Academy of Beijing
International School of Beijing
Shanghai American School
Hong Kong International School
Singapore American School
International School Kualur Lumpur
Jakarta International School
Taipei American School
International School Manila
International School of Bangkok

Again, these would be starting places. It may be that few of them hire SLPs.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Definitely check out the schools in Switzerland. Int'l School of Geneva in particular has a comprehensive special needs program AND a strong French component.

http://www.ecolint.ch/job-opportunities
EllieSLP

Post by EllieSLP »

Thanks again everyone. I will keep you all posted on my progress. Also, I never answered the DoDD question. I originally accepted the offer, but over 9 months later (Fed interview, lots of vetting of my credentials, poly test since I have family in "questionable" countries, lots of medical tests, etc), I received my SF 50, but they kept pushing my start date back every 2-3 weeks. Since my work visa was expiring in Canada, I had to make a decision. I wouldn't go through that again as it was just simply too stressful and slow.
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

If you're happy to set up on your own, I can say that - at least in Malaysia - you'd likely be in high demand. You can't start a company here without a local partner, but there are ways to sort this out. We pay a fortune for our son's speech therapist and it's almost impossible to get an appointment as she's so busy. This is just one example, but my point is that perhaps you don't need to be attached to an individual school.
zanyplum

Post by zanyplum »

I have a former colleague who also started her own speech pathology practice in Barcelona. She works closely with the international schools there, and I am sure she is in high demand. I think this idea is a good one!
EllieSLP

Post by EllieSLP »

Thanks guys for the idea. The only thing is that I am not an EU resident, so I'm not sure how I would be able to attain a visa. Nonetheless, I will explore this idea.
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

If you'll consider changing location, there will be high demand all over Asia.
EllieSLP

Post by EllieSLP »

Thanks curiousme and others. I will really think about Asia since it is highly recommended from several of you. My question still remains on how to secure a work visa without a school. Will continue to do research.
EllieSLP

Post by EllieSLP »

Hi all, it's been a month since I've posted and I've now started to formally look at Asia. Since Search and ISS do not have a lot of positions for me, does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can look? I have contacted the list of schools that a couple people were kind enough to suggest. I'm also looking to potentially work for myself or a small practice since I have extensive accent modification training and experience. Thanks again.
EllieSLP

Post by EllieSLP »

Thanks to those who have given me input. I have secured a position in Beijing. :)