Kuwait

Mixedbagofnuts

Kuwait

Post by Mixedbagofnuts »

Hello,

So many opinions about Kuwait. It seems that if a person is geared towards night life and alcohol Kuwait probably isn't a good fit... yet for others they live a comfortable and fun life in Kuwait.

How do these people do it? if anyone has worked in Kuwait and has been happy. How have you done this? How did you create a social network? How did you start becoming involved in activities? If you were single how was your dating life?

How does one stay happy and content living Kuwait. I understand making money and travel is one of them but we've already addressed that in the previous forums. On the day-to-day life in Kuwait is the focus of this post.
MedellinHeel

Re: Kuwait

Post by MedellinHeel »

day to day life?

bro, just guessing but I think ppl just go there to work and save money.

never heard of any special things to do there.
expatteacher99

Post by expatteacher99 »

I have not lived in Kuwait but have several friends who have worked there. They reported no shortage of alcohol. :) It sounded like the parties were pretty wild, only they are at houses and not at bars.

I know some people who didn't love the social life in Kuwait. Others have said it is one of the best places they have ever worked due to the close-knit expat community (schools, embassies, military, etc) and all the activities that the expats created for themselves.
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

Check out 'internations.org' no matter where you are, its a forum for ex-pats with things to do, meet-ups etc.
Seems that most people either love Kuwait, or hate it.
lemonlily

Post by lemonlily »

There is no shortage of alcohol and partying here in Kuwait, but be prepared to pay quite a bit for it.

I find it really annoying actually...I haven't drank at all here because I just think it's silly. We know this country is dry, so I don't really understand the point in making homemade stuff and risking the consequences. I know someone who was arrested and jailed this year because he was drunk and then went out to find a taxi, so he was out in public intoxicated. He was let out, luckily, because he was pretty cooperative, but had to pay a fine.

Where I work there is a lot of people in their early/mid 20s who it seems like all they do is go out to parties and come to work hungover. That's not the social life I enjoy and find it obnoxious, especially here. And I myself am in the same age range.

For social life, people go to gyms together, go out for dinner/shisha, shopping, have people over for meals. We have a group of friends who has a monthly . night, and some other friends who invite us over for dinner and cards. Day to day, honestly, my husband and I are homebodies. We watch a lot of tv. Read. There are some sport leagues, if you like hockey and basketball, (some others I think). My H did softball last year in Egypt, but there isn't a league for that here. People find things to do... My big problem is that because everything in Kuwait is so expensive, all the little fun things to do are way more than I am willing to pay. I'd rather sit at home then go pay $70 or more for an embassy . or $45 for 1hr of go-carts (I think that's what the cost was, IIRC.)

I completely disagree with the "close" expat community here. I have found no community of expats here unless you join the . community. If you aren't involved in that, they you are pretty much on your own unless your school has a close group of teachers. Mine does not.

We lived in Egypt last year and the expat community there is amazing and there is a lot more to do than just parties. We made real friends who will last a lifetime. In Kuwait, we have not made any real friends. I feel like the people I have met have just been really superficial, and maybe that's because of the money here.

Most people live for the money and the travel. For us, that wasn't enough and we are leaving, (contract/penalty free, not running) after just one year. I also think it really depends on which school you are at and how the teachers around you work together. I think getting a car could really make a difference in Kuwait, but it wasn't money we were willing to spend. I also think living out of campus housing could make things better. It would feel more like life in your home country, which would make the "boredom" seem more normal. :-/