Education Reform in IT?

porter1

Education Reform in IT?

Post by porter1 »

I would like to hear seasoned vets' opinion on the likelihood of education reform, of the U.S. variety, to influence international teaching. By reform, I am referring to punitive standardized tests, creative disruption (when the goal is to stress the system to breaking), co-optation of teachers through administrative committees, punitive use of student reviews, lack of autonomy in lesson planning/assessment, etc.

Many of these reforms are developed by non-educators and there is some popular disenchantment with these reforms. However, I read reviews that a school in Cambodia had adopted some of these reforms, created by a company in Chicago.

What do you think the future impact of these reform ideas may have on international education, at all levels?
shadowjack

Re: Education Reform in IT?

Post by shadowjack »

The good schools already know this is NOT the road to go down. Their students are already being accepted into some of the best universities in the world, doing rigorous prep programs like IB DP, A levels and AP.

The really crap schools are already doing this. They are driven by the test, students memorize, study, and memorize some more. Think Chouiefat (spelling?). There is a page in the book that everybody will do on a given day - or pages. Students I have taught from systems like this can quote verbatim and recall amazingly well. But synthesizing something from disparate parts is not something they do well. That is a bit of a generalization I know, and honestly, students from that system who have come to our school have usually done well.

Long story short - good schools don't have time to test test test and teach to the test. They simply get on with it.
porter1

Post by porter1 »

I agree with your assessment. I noticed the same creative deficit with my Japanese students. There has been studies on creativity 'peaking' in the late 20th Century with American students.

I didn't know how prevalent teaching to the test was in IT. In the U.S. the reform movement was strictly a means to syphon off cash in the form of test prep/consultants.
What percentage of schools have such scripted curriculum and which tests are they gunning for? Other than test prep, what other reform measures, that I mentioned above, have been adopted in IT? Are parents aware of these changes?
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Scary scenario for many international teachers, as a big part of the allure of teaching abroad is leaving behind all the scripted, teach-to-the-test standardized horseshit found in public schools back home.
porter1

Post by porter1 »

Anyone care to qualify, quantify the problem,both in frequency and severity around the world?
klooste

Post by klooste »

My school does not have AP or IB, but my students will be accepted into Canada's top Universities. I've found the biggest challenge is getting the kids to share responses in class, but I've tried to use motivators (such as offering the kids a "shot" of maple syrup)-- so far I've found my tactics successful, and my students have warmed up to being creative. Though the fact the final exam is worth 40 percent of their final grade (which in turn influences which University they will enter in Canada) cannot be ignored. So I've had to tailor some of my lessons to the provincial examination. Personally I've found if students “see” that its “ok” to think outside the box, then they will be willing to dive in. Maybe my students only acted creative to impress me, but nonetheless I tried to welcome their creativity, while not bending too much to the final examination. It may also depend on which subject you're teaching. I'm not sure if my jabber is offering you a perspective of the “severity of the world” though, so please accept my apology!

My points may be vetoed moot ( I am teaching in a Canadian international school).