Escuela Internacional Sampedrana (San Pedro Sula, Honduras)

MedellinHeel

Escuela Internacional Sampedrana (San Pedro Sula, Honduras)

Post by MedellinHeel »

Was browsing some schools that attended a fair and noticed this one. For those that don't know, San Pedro Sula is the murder capital of the world. I am wondering how they manage to get teachers to work there and if anyone here has worked, works, or know of someone that works there.
dover2013

Re: Escuela Internacional Sampedrana (San Pedro Sula, Hondur

Post by dover2013 »

I worked with a guy who had worked there previously. It wasn't the murder capital at the time but it was probably pretty close. He had a ball. Many cities claim the the title from time to time but the reality is that most people who live there are not murdered. Having lived in one when it did claim the title - it didn't impinge on our lifestyles at all. The Latin American cities that claim the title do not have schools that pay megabucks (some of the African ones do) but benefits outweigh the challenges (although Latin America is not for everyone - which is a great shame in itself).

Getting teachers there? They might not get the 40, or 100, applications per post that some Asian and Middle Eastern schools allegedly get but they get enough.
EUExplorer

Post by EUExplorer »

Dash- This is actually a decent starter school to begin your career. Definitely tier 3, but could be a solid place to start your career, learn your craft, and have a great social life as a single guy. I know numerous teachers who started off at Sampedrana, did a good job (expectations aren't the highest) and then used the school as a springboard to better opportunities. There are certain schools around the world where a lot of international educators seem to begin at (at least whom I have met or run into)- Sampedrana is one in the Central American region. Another one in Asia is Ruamrudee.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

Haha I would get killed no question.

Out every night partying.
Meeting women.
Wrong place wrong time
Talked to the wrong woman.

I wouldn't last 6 months!
EUExplorer

Post by EUExplorer »

Show some self-discipline and you'll be fine.