Saudi iqama for women

josephine

Saudi iqama for women

Post by josephine »

Can someone update me on the CURRENT status of women teachers in KSA? Do women need to come on their individual iqama, or do they come on husbands sponsorship and then transfer to the school sponsorship? Thanks
shadowjack

Re: Saudi iqama for women

Post by shadowjack »

Hi Josephine,

if you come on your husband's contract, and transfer to the school, you are likely going to be a local hire. No flights, housing, etc. If you come as an overseas or foreign hire, your employer is obligated to provide you the housing, flights, etc.

That said, if your husband is coming on a family contract, your coming on your own might jeapordize his contract and his company might revert him to a single hire contract, meaning you won't have his medical, flights and housing.

You need to carefully consider which on you are going for - and also consider which one your school is pressing you to take - and why.

Good luck!

PS There is no "need" - in fact, there are women who sponsor their husbands under their iqama (the exception, but still, I know several people where this was the case). Explore your options...
lemonlily

Post by lemonlily »

I'm moving to Saudi next year and will be sponsoring my husband on my Iqama, he is a trailing spouse. I'm hoping it's as smooth a process as possible. I hate that I have to go ahead before him though. That part stinks.
josephine

Post by josephine »

OK thanks for the info...I saw so many reports last year of teachers sitting at home because the govt decided that the teachers could no longer be on their husband's iqama and needed their own, so I wasn't sure if things had changed or not.