Worth pursuing a masters degree?

klooste

Worth pursuing a masters degree?

Post by klooste »

Hi all,

I currently hold a Bachelors of Education Secondary (high school and middle school). I am wondering: is it worth pursuing a masters degree in education if I want to teach abroad in China? Will a masters assist with getting me into a tier 1 school?

Thanks in advance! =D
fine dude

Re: Worth pursuing a masters degree?

Post by fine dude »

That's a tough question. There is no research accurately linking master's degrees and student performance. Schools love teachers with advanced degrees as it not only is a marketing tool for them, but they also think you would offer a more rigorous instruction than someone with a bachelor's.
It's good to have few years of real-time IB / AP experience and let your students results speak for your work. You could still pursue your master's online if that's a choice.

I'd never take a few years off just to pursue a master's in a traditional college classroom unless I'm in my very early 20s.
Micky

Post by Micky »

I was in the same dilemma and did go ahead and get my masters. I'm not too sure it really helped land a job but it did get me on a higher salary level. However, in comparison with the student debt I still have because of it, I'd probably be better of if I had left well enough alone. Like fine dude said, it's a tough call, just not sure if it was worth it for me, but who knows, maybe in the future.
Rye

Post by Rye »

I have a bit of debt from mine, but it is also because of where I attended school - several factors involved. I knew that going in. There are cheaper and faster options out there if you're just interested in the title and the pay bump. Some you may even be able to complete while you are overseas, although I have not looked into that very much.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

I just landed a great job without a Masters. I have 2 Bachelors and a lot of experience. I've been contemplating getting one, too. I'm older so not sure if it's worth it at this point. As other poster said...debt vs. salary hike...is it worth it? If you're young it would definitely balance out and even be more money in the long run but at my age (50) it's a toss up. If my new school offers classes for free I'll take advantage...some schools do.
Ocalmy

Post by Ocalmy »

If you choose to get a master's, make sure it's in a specialization that you really enjoy (e.g. leadership, curriculum design, technology, etc.) Don't do it if your only reason is to be more competitive in the international school market. Like other posters have mentioned, good experience and student results should be enough for that.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

It is. Not just for the pay increase, which over time will cover your cost, but also for widening your horizons and bringing you up to speed on things like latest research, best practices and more.

While the Tier 1's hire many different kinds of teachers, if there are two teachers equal in every way, but 1 with a Masters and one without, I suspect the masters would clinch the deal.

Keep in mind too, that some interernational schools have programs to subsidize masters or provide on site masters programs.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

@Shadowjack - I think doing worthwhile professional development keeps you up to date on latest teaching theories and best practices. What about teachers who earned their Masters degrees 15 - 20 years ago? Professional development is what keeps you up to date...just sayin'...:)
Last edited by newchapter on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Micky

Post by Micky »

My thoughts as well newchapter. If getting a masters degree means keeping up with best practices it would have to be an ongoing process of getting masters degrees.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Shadowjack was just saying that if, hypothetically, 2 candidates are exactly the same and one had a masters, then they would get the nod.

That's pretty obvious but, in reality, how often are two teachers exactly the same? They might be strong but usually in at least slightly different ways.

Don't get a masters for your career, get it because it is what you personally want to do to push yourself in that way. Lots of people don't have them and do just fine.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I did mine out of interest - not because I had to - but it has paid for itself already, and as I mentioned, there are a lot of schools (usually the better ones) that prefer masters to a B.Ed. Of course you have to keep up in your subject area - that's a given. But doing PD AND doing a masters out trumps just doing PD with no masters. That's only my opinion of course, and you are welcome to yours, which might be equally valid :-)
klooste

Post by klooste »

Thank you all for the advice: its great to see a wide array of opinions.

Some of you mentioned doing a masters for interest, not for beef on the resume. If I could do a masters degree for interest it would be in teaching Chinese as a foreign language-- but I don't feel this specialization will make me very employable. If I couldn't do a masters in Chinese, I'd probably do a comp sci degree or something. Thoughts? Opinions? I mean logically speaking, if a school wants Chinese to be taught as a foreign language, then they would just hire a local, correct? The Chinese masters (in this case) would be solely based off interest (and maybe some bragging rights too ;) hahaha).

Be well all!
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

It's a lot of money to just get a Masters in something you enjoy. Who wouldn't want to do that but is it realistic? Although, I suppose maybe teachers on the international circuit for many years have saved a lot of money and can do this. I don't have this kind of luxury. I have to weigh out the financial scales as to whether or not it's worth it for me at this point in my life. Some schools offer free courses towards Masters degrees, but I'm sure these are education related and not just something for my own pleasure/interest. If you're younger than 40 I'd say go for it. It will definitely pay off if you plan on teaching for awhile.
klooste

Post by klooste »

Well I am still up in the air about doing a masters. I have a two year contract in the way right now, so two years should give me plenty of time to muse over my options. If I were to do a practical degree it would not be a masters, but a Computer Science degree. I think a lot of schools look for IT workers, plus I think Comp programming is useful to have. If I was to go for interest, it would be Chinese as a foreign language, being taught in Chinese. I am not sure if my Chinese focus would help my employment chances, I guess it shows I am well assimilated into the culture, which I think MANY schools value. I've heard the hardest part (about working in China that is), is teacher burnout, coupled with having a tough time adjusting to the environment in China.