Finding work in April

peterskm

Finding work in April

Post by peterskm »

Hello all,
I`m trying to find a position in an international school for the 2014-2015 school year. Is it possible at this point? I have a master`s degree in education and 2 years of experience as a math teacher.
sid

Re: Finding work in April

Post by sid »

It's possible, anything is possible.
There are always positions open at this point, and even up to September, as teachers make last-minute decisions to leave, get ill, have to return home to take care of mum, etc. There aren't many positions, the big rush was in January and February, and they tend to pop up then disappear in spots across the globe, but they're out there. When they appear, and the closer it gets to the start of the new year, schools will be as eager to fill them as you are to have them. Schools know that most good teachers are already booked for next year, and usually won't hedge their bets by waiting for the 'perfect' candidate at this point.
Your position is not the greatest. You have the minimum amount of experience to be of interest to a decent school, most prefer more. Are you certified? Some countries/schools require that.
Your strategies should start with getting hooked up with one or more recruiting agencies so you have a daily update on what positions pop open. Apply for anything and everything. Make sure you have all your application materials ready so you can apply within minutes of learning about a post.
And be open-minded. With your credentials, you are more likely to get offers in out of the way countries, or from schools with less than perfect situations. You may need to put your time in somewhere that isn't on your top 20 list, so that your next post can be a step up the ladder.
Good luck.
PacificSurf313-Kinder

Post by PacificSurf313-Kinder »

I am registered with Search but always hold out until April-May-June when I choose my next school. I really did not enjoy the Jan/Feb fair scene and the ways schools treat you when they think the perfect teacher is right around the corner.

I have seen amazing jobs come and go from April-July and if you have the intestinal fortitude to wait, it definitely reduces the imbalance of power that schools have when early recruiting.

I definitely recommend Search and/or Tieonline to keep updated with openings. Search sends a daily email that I review and I check on Tieonline frequently. If I see a school/ position I like, I email them and let them know I am ready to make a firm commitment if everything works out. More times than not I am the one being contacted by schools at this late stage which makes life so much easier.

As always, YMMV, but I have always found it an alternative to the cattle call that is Jan/Feb job fairs.

Best of luck!
Rob

Post by Rob »

My last three positions during the past 6 years came up after May, so I'd say there is a real possibility. I used TIE online, and their instant job notifications. As a math teacher, even with only two years experience, you should be in demand if a position come open.

Rob
Bij Bam

Post by Bij Bam »

All of my jobs at international schools were pretty last minute. Don't have one yet this year either, but I'm in contact with two European schools at the moment. Keep trying - the game isn't over yet!
cbad

Post by cbad »

My wife just received an email from a great school in Europe asking whether or not she was still interested in the position to which she had applied months before. We replied that "yes" we were still very interested. A reply was sent back that they were putting together a short list for the position and that they would get back to us. Hopefully it all works out but I am a realist. This would be our dream school!

But the main point is that there is still hope even though it is almost May. Whether my wife gets the job or not is another story.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

I interviewed a couple of days ago for a pretty great school. Of course, I might not get the job but at least that tells you there are jobs out there!
MIS

Post by MIS »

PacificSurf313-Kinder wrote:
> I am registered with Search but always hold out until April-May-June when I
> choose my next school. I really did not enjoy the Jan/Feb fair scene and
> the ways schools treat you when they think the perfect teacher is right
> around the corner.
>
> I have seen amazing jobs come and go from April-July and if you have the
> intestinal fortitude to wait, it definitely reduces the imbalance of power
> that schools have when early recruiting.
>
> I definitely recommend Search and/or Tieonline to keep updated with
> openings. Search sends a daily email that I review and I check on Tieonline
> frequently. If I see a school/ position I like, I email them and let them
> know I am ready to make a firm commitment if everything works out. More
> times than not I am the one being contacted by schools at this late stage
> which makes life so much easier.
>
> As always, YMMV, but I have always found it an alternative to the cattle
> call that is Jan/Feb job fairs.
>
> Best of luck!

Great stuff. Love this perspective.
cbad

Post by cbad »

Well, I had my Skype interview today. All went well and it was actually pretty fun. They also checked my references right away so I assume that means they are serious and that I at least have a good chance at the job.

Anyway, don't give up hope!!!!