breaking contract

inthemafia

breaking contract

Post by inthemafia »

Hey

I am currently working at an international school, however I am being treated unfairly. There are several big issues which are making me unhappy and I am currently working under great fear; which is affecting my health, but I would rather not go into this in detail at this point.
I write on this forum in the hope that someone can help me with my concern. It has gotten to the stage where I am seriously considering breaking my contract and doing a ‘runner’. Are there any legal repercussions that I should be concerned about if I were to do this? I’m surmising but in my contract it does say that if the contract were to be broken then I would be liable to pay 2 months salary. Will this actually happen? Should I get paid and just run?
Will an international school pursue this if I have done a runner and am not even in the same country anymore? Will they cross borders (legally) and force me to pay it back? Would it get to court?
I’m under great stress by staying at the school but I don’t want to amplify this stress if doing a runner means my situation becomes even worse.

As for future employment chances, references etc - these issues are not my concern. I am only interested in whether legally the school will attempt to recoup the losses involved in moving a teacher abroad, or whether this is too much hassle for a school.

Thanks for any help
wrldtrvlr123

Re: breaking contract

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

You don't say what country or region you are in which could affect the answer a bit. But, it is virtually certain that your only financial/legal exposure would be based on your contract/pay schedule. If you are owed money, the school could keep it, but it is doubtful that they would seek to recoup the money through any courts, law suits etc. I'm sure it has happened somewhere in the world but I have never actually seen or heard of a specific case.

As for other repercussions, obviously you are looking at a poor reference or hiding a hole in your CV (or being honest and hoping a potential employer agrees your running was justified). The school could also report you to the various recruiting agencies and bad mouth you whenever/wherever they can (or even add you to the mythical/mystical blacklist).

How long do you have left on your contract? I'm assuming it is beyond the end of the school year or you would just put your head down and soldier through. Have you given any thought to talking to the school about a mutually agreed split at the end of the year? Only you can know whether there is any option beyond running.

In short, it is not a great career option but must be balanced against physical and mental health.
Bij Bam

Post by Bij Bam »

A colleague of mine did that last year. After two weeks or so. The directors were pretty put out because of all the hassle and money that had gone into visa, apartment etc, but from what I heard, the only thing they wanted back from him was the cell phone he had gotten from the school.

Generally speaking, I don't think I have the expertise to advise you as to what to do, but if at all possible, try to leave with their consent instead of just running off. It makes it easier on you in the long run.

Wishing you all the best!
klooste

Post by klooste »

Which school are you at,if you don't mind me asking? Depending on the region, you may want to contact a lawyer, and ask them about fleeing a contract. Have you talked to the principal about the issues you are experiencing?

Also: I would consider the kids as well.
whynot

Post by whynot »

Health is foremost, if you gotta go, then go. Everything else will work out. Like previously posted, I too have never heard of a school going through legal channels to recoup costs/penalise once that person is out of the country.

Do take a deep breath though. A broken contract is certainly not career ending, and I don't know your situation, however if in the future you are called upon to explain it and it sounds like 'whinging' then that is not a good look.
sid

Post by sid »

It's very unlikely that the school will attempt to track you down and get money off you, but it does depend somewhat on exactly where you are, what's in your contract, the degree to which you anger the school, and the amount in question. Generally speaking, it is not worth it to the school to chase relatively small sums of money, at high cost and with small chance of success. A couple month's pay, while crucial to us as individuals, is not much in the life of a school.
Some schools are set up that runners by default walk away from valuable benefits like summer pay, end of service bonuses, flight money, etc. Sounds like this is not an issue in your case. (Not that I'm implying that schools do this to deter runners, just that it can make running a more expensive proposition.)
As for the rest of the consequences, like not being able to get international jobs in the future, it seems that you don't care. Fair enough, just be aware that those consequences are real, and might even reach back home when you look for a new position. If you've been working overseas for a while, potential employers will want to hear from your schools. If you've just been abroad this school year, you might be able to claim you just took a year off, assuming you're comfortable with lies. (I'm not.) And the world being as small as it is, don't be surprised when someone at your new work place knows someone at your current work place, and your story goes public. However right you may be about the school being unfair to you, the story will play differently when it comes out that you fled mid-school-year, then played loose with the truth on your CV.
If you do leave quickly, please notify the school the minute you are out of the country. They will need to find a replacement asap, and not telling the school just punishes the children.
Generally speaking, the best solution is almost always to work something out with your school. There's only 2 months to go this school year, and if you come to an agreement to part ways after June, you might be much happier in the long run.
I wish you the best and hope that things take an immediate turn for the better. Before you do anything drastic, think long and hard about whether you can make it to June instead.
Vermontvet

Post by Vermontvet »

I highly doubt they would try to recoup their losses. If you are having problems with mafia that is involved with your school then the school will just want you gone and to not cause trouble for them, especially at ISR in any way. I’m guessing you’re in some kind of third world country or at least somewhere there is no strong rule of law. I think any school lawyer trying to come after you would not be taken seriously in any country where laws were more binding. I would wait until I got paid and then get out of there. The best would be to wait until summer or end of summer to get all pay coming to you. Things to think about:
-if you have lots of if stuff to ship home and don't want to attract attention think about putting it in storage first then dealing with it later. Have the guys pick up the stuff when you're sure no eyes will be on your place.
-forward any incriminating emails you've received from admin or anyone else involved to your personal email account before they close your school email out. If the school is screwing you over and not protecting you or if they are doing anything illegal or questionable you may be able to coax something out of them about this in email before you go which you could then hold over them in case they tried to give you trouble.
-I know that Search Associates say they will not let teachers use their services in the future if they break contract. But if you tell them what’s going on I bet they would be sympathetic to you. If not, you can always post something about that here. Search Associates doesn't want teachers (prospective customers) to think they are not helpful and understanding of teachers in situations like this.
All the best and after you've left be sure to make them regret how they mistreated you as much as you can without putting yourself in any danger or seriously affecting your career prospects. Remember anonymity is vital and you can always wait a year or two before you do anything. If accused by your school of having done anything just deny it and stick to your story. Maybe they’ll think twice about mistreating their teachers in the future.
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

If your health is suffering--can you get Doctors letter, and show to principal/director then leave properly?
If they are causing you so much grief, then in all likelihood your situation is causing them grief too--and they might just be more than willing to let you go amicably.
If they say 'No' then consider the runner after the school year is done, ( 1.5 months) perhaps?
Also--consider--are you the type of person who will feel guilty and be looking over your shoulder for years, worrying that any stranger coming to your door will be the authorities? In short, will "a runner) haunt you for years?