Swiss International School in Regensburg, Germany

cbad

Swiss International School in Regensburg, Germany

Post by cbad »

Hello,

It has been very hard to find information about the Swiss International Schools in Germany. Does anyone have any information about the school in general and possibly specifically about the school in Regensburg?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Bij Bam

Re: Swiss International School in Regensburg, Germany

Post by Bij Bam »

Well, there's always their website:

http://www.swissinternationalschool.de/?sc_lang=en-GB

I've applied with them, too, a few times. No luck so far.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

They are basically a very small int'l school that merged last year with the other very small int'l school in Regensburg. Word has it that they are going through some growing pains and trying to decide whether they are a truly bi-lingual school (and whether they will continue to offer both the German curriculum AND IB). I get the impression from people familiar with the situation that they mainly hire teachers already in the area, rather than offer a viable overseas teacher contract (although they are likely to have turnover this year and may have to bring people in if they cannot find suitable teachers in the community).

They do follow the Bavarian school calendar, rather than the usual int'l school calendar if that matters (no summers off, but with shorter holidays throughout the year).
cbad

Post by cbad »

Yeah, sorry to mention it before but I have checked out all of their websites both for Germany and Switzerland. I just wanted to get outside impressions and opinions. Thank you so much for the last post. Any other general impressions? The reviews of two schools in Switzerland were very poor but I don't know if I should begin to judge the Regensburg campus (even though it is run by the same company) from these posts.

Again, thank you for any advice or information.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Nothing really great or horrible to pass on. Word is that the Head is knowledgeable and enthusiastic and facilities adequate. I have no information on salary or package. Bavaria is a very nice place to live and although expensive, some costs can be managed by your lifestyle choices.

Basically just a small school that is still trying to find it's way/niche in the market. On area alone you could do far, far worse. If you ever get any salary information, I'd be happy to try and interpret what kind of lifestyle that would offer you in the area.
cbad

Post by cbad »

Thanks wrldtrvlr! My wife and I both have interviews soon and we would both be foreign hires so I hope they assist with relocation costs. Glad to hear the head is enthusiastic. The pay would not be too much of an issue as we would hopefully both be working but I have a sense it would not be as much as BIS or other well established schools.

Again, thanks for your help.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

My pleasure. Best of luck and please let me/us know how it goes. I would assume that if they did hire you as overseas hires, they would be serious about getting you there and settled (e.g. airfare, something towards shipping, possibly a modest settling in allowance). Having two teachers should ease some money concerns, as long as they are offering a reasonable package.