Interview

sofiarose

Interview

Post by sofiarose »

Hi,
I finally have an interview with a school I want. For some reason my mind is blank and cant remember the questions usually asked. Can anyone remind me :) and also what questions would you ask when really I would be ecstatic if they just gave me this job. But, I dont want to seem overeager. Help..
seinfeld

Re: Interview

Post by seinfeld »

Seriously, if you know your stuff then just relax, be you and let your experience and knowledge be known. Don't contrive up things you think they want you to say.
sofiarose

Post by sofiarose »

Thanks. I was totally caught off guard as they wanted the interview for next week but emailed me this morning for it. Geeze. But, I got it. I'm not a new teacher been 18 years here, new question how do you know what to take? I asked them but they said what you'd like. I'd hate to go to a new school and not have enough resources or spend money out of pocket. What do you guys usually do? Thanks
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Just make sure you've researched the school and are familiar with the curriculum they use. You don't have to be experienced with their curric (like the IB) but at least know enough to ask intelligent questions about it. Also research the country; when I was applying to a school in the Middle East the question of living in the ME came up during four interviews. It was in a country I had researched and specifically targeted and I could point to exactly why I wanted to live there.

As for resources, if there are things you think you'd be able to use with a different curric, scan them and put them on disk; no point in taking thick notebooks and stuff (as I did for my first overseas posting) if you're not going to be able to use them much. If you get the job, you can always ask to be put in touch with the person you're replacing, or someone else there, and ask if there are materials that are hard to get that you'd be glad you took with you.
lgtallie

Post by lgtallie »

I'm glad your interview went well!

I just posted a list of some interview questions I have received over the years from various international schools:
http://teachingwanderlust.com/2014/04/2 ... questions/ . I hope it helps someone in the future!

I know I always like to practice answering some of the questions because I am always a little flustered during interviews.

-Amanda
sofiarose

Post by sofiarose »

Thanks for all your help. Gee I have so much stuff, they said I could ship over by sea and they would pay but seems like too much. Has anyone ever taught in Italy? Curious. I go there every summer as I have friends and family but never taught there. The school I got the job with has no reviews. Id that good or bad?
Rye

Post by Rye »

I don't think it is really either good or bad.

If nothing comes up on Google, post up the name here and see what people have to say. Someone usually knows someone who knows...
lgtallie

Post by lgtallie »

If I didn't have student loans to repay I would LOVE to be teaching in Italy! Congratulations on landing the job!

If you are looking for reviews or you want to contact people directly who have worked in the school you might also try searching on International School Community http://www.internationalschoolcommunity.com/home.
sofiarose

Post by sofiarose »

The school is in Rome but Id rather not mention it here.
Last edited by sofiarose on Thu May 08, 2014 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lgtallie

Post by lgtallie »

I've never heard of that school before, but the last time I lived in Italy was 2006 and that was only for three months.

I didn't mean to discourage you about the loan thing. I actually just posted about how I still owe $60K (private school!) http://teachingwanderlust.com/2014/05/01/tuitionbites/ and I'm paying on it while teaching overseas. I don't think most international teachers worry about student loans as much as I do. :)