Info needed about AP program

Godfather146

Info needed about AP program

Post by Godfather146 »

Hi guys,

I have been offered a job in the Middle East at a school where the US curriculum is taught, mainly the AP program. At the moment, I am teaching the UK curriculum, so I just wanted someone to be kind enough to provide a brief explanation as to what the AP program consists of. Also, what is the validity of the AP program, for example, is it a qualification which is accepted by colleges and universities around the world?

Thanks
Godfather
rudolph

Re: Info needed about AP program

Post by rudolph »

Advanced Placement courses are rigorous, college prep courses in over 30 subjects that offer an external assessment at the end of the year - this assessment is an exam (except for art which is a portfolio I believe) that is offered on the same day in May throughout the world to all students taking it. They are sent to the College Board, which sponsors the program, and marked. Results are sent to colleges students select and your school will also get copies. It is a well respected program with a significant history. Over a million students took at least one AP exam in the United States last year. Check out the "AP Report to the Nation" online for detailed information.You can also get subject specific information on the College Board website.

It is up to the teacher how to arrange the course being taught in order to teach the standards, but the school must have submitted a course syllabus showing how those standards are addressed for approval to the College Board. You will give the students your own grades based on their performance in class, but hopefully as your class is about achieving those standards and you maintain high expectations, your mark will give them some indication on how they are likely to do.

In terms of how colleges and universities view the AP courses, this is like anything else - it depends upon the school. Admission officers look for students who take rigorous courses in high school, so this is an advantage to students. Many schools in the US offer credit for students who manage to score on the exams. Scoring constitutes receiving a 3,4 or 5 out of 5; but some schools may stipulate a 4 or 5 is needed for credit. Some schools might not offer credit but do offer advanced placement in the subject area, allowing students to skip basic courses. I remember many years ago when a student received national recognition for the number of AP courses she took and the 5s received in each one, she went to a top university that gave her no credit at all for any of them - but they did heavily recruit her and give her a full scholarship based on academics. In short, this information can't be generalized.

I enjoy teaching the level of rigor of AP and not having to mess around with someone else's rules for assessments like one does with the IB - the College Board takes care of their assessment and I take care of mine. Of course I do style many assessments after the exam so students are prepared, but I can also weave in creative assignments and fit the work to my students each year. If you will be completely new to the American system - and if the school is truly an American curriculum - there will be new terminology to figure out, a different philosphy about assessment, and a host of ofther adjustments; however, as an experienced teacher you will obviously have the skills to do that, but be prepared for some "huh?" moments.
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

A great reply. Any websites recommended for AP Literature courses. Is there an AP Language course?
jessiejames

Post by jessiejames »

Yes, there is the AP English Language and Composition course. I hope this link helps a little: http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/p ... sedesc.pdf