Morocco - Anyone there now with positive advice

WiseTeach

Morocco - Anyone there now with positive advice

Post by WiseTeach »

Is anyone working and teaching at a school in Morocco who can tell me a bit about their experience? Particularly interested in Casablanca. Housing, cost of living, attitude towards foreigners, ease of getting around etc. All those important things that impact day to day life. Thanks.
washisan

Re: Morocco - Anyone there now with positive advice

Post by washisan »

I wasn't working in Casablanca, but I know it well.

The school (CAS) has had a terrible reputation for some years now. Moroccan kids are usually very polite and pleasant, however class management is a common issue.

You won't have a hard time to find an apartment, but it gets more and more expensive to find one with good standards. The cost of living remains very low, except for electronics and other kitchen appliances.
Foreigners, especially Americans, are very welcome in Morocco and although single women will be stared at or harassed in the streets, I've never heard about any violent experience from my colleagues in the few years I lived there.

You'll make your life immensely easier if you speak/learn French. Don't pass on it, really. I found Casa ugly, but more vibrant than Marrakesh or Rabat. It is easy to take a cab, or even to have your own car. You will probably hear from colleagues that Moroccans are insane as soon as they take the wheel, but if you're a travelled teacher, you know it's just fear of the unknown. For what it is worth, I've never had any accident.

I believe Moroccans are very social, and if you are ready to open your eyes and get rid of the veil of prejudice, you'll have a wonderful time in Morocco.
WiseTeach

Post by WiseTeach »

Thank you for the response. Particularly since you are the ONLY one with info on the country. Casa is where I am heading , though not to that school. I don't want to drive. Trying my best to avoid car ownership. No veils of prejudice here, thanks. Wondering more about navigating the culture. Also the weather and specifically what is nice about Casablanca... Thank you again. I appreciate it.
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

I have never worked in Morrocco, but I have travelled there extensively. I loved it. The people, the scenery, the exotic feel, the energy, the solitude....I loved it all.
Now, that being said--if you are an unsuspecting, unsavvy traveller--they will take you for everything youve got :)