Wuhan

klooste

Wuhan

Post by klooste »

Does anybody know anything about this city? Ever worked in Wuhan?

Best
??
??
grdwdgrrrl

Re: Wuhan

Post by grdwdgrrrl »

So, you speak Chinese? Good. I did like some things about Wuhan, the traffic wasn't one of them. I went there often on for conferences. Things have improved a lot since.
I would say it's a second tier city in China. People are used to seeing foreigners, it's a popular part of the cruise up and down the Yangzte River and three gorges. The food is great!
Wuhan has had a long tradition of foreign educators coming. Princeton has a program there, for example. Did you ever read Iron and Silk? That was the eighties of course, things have changed. It has an old foreign consession area there, from colonial days. It's HOTTER than hell in the summer, worse than Nanjing in my opinion.
It's not Guangzhou but then again it's not Guizhou. Speaking of Guangzhou, there's a high speed train. Takes 4 hours from Wuhan to Guangzhou South station. The it's an hour by subway to Tianhe and the embassy district, but it's a good route.

Hope that helps!
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

I've travelled there and friends of mine have lived there.

They have the beginnings of the subway now. I think it's just one line, or maybe two, but they're expanding it.

Second on the good Chinese food.

The high speed train station is actually a ways out of town. Their airport is situated halfway between Changsha and Wuhan, so it's about an hour or so from the city.

When they talk about bad pollution in China, they mean places like Wuhan.

It would be a good place to improve your Chinese. Local People struck me as quite friendly when speaking with them in Chinese.
klooste

Post by klooste »

grdwdgrrrl wrote:
> So, you speak Chinese? Good. I did like some things about Wuhan, the
> traffic wasn't one of them. I went there often on for conferences. Things
> have improved a lot since.
> I would say it's a second tier city in China. People are used to seeing
> foreigners, it's a popular part of the cruise up and down the Yangzte River
> and three gorges. The food is great!
> Wuhan has had a long tradition of foreign educators coming. Princeton has
> a program there, for example. Did you ever read Iron and Silk? That was
> the eighties of course, things have changed. It has an old foreign
> consession area there, from colonial days. It's HOTTER than hell in the
> summer, worse than Nanjing in my opinion.
> It's not Guangzhou but then again it's not Guizhou. Speaking of Guangzhou,
> there's a high speed train. Takes 4 hours from Wuhan to Guangzhou South
> station. The it's an hour by subway to Tianhe and the embassy district,
> but it's a good route.
>
> Hope that helps!

Excellent advice! My girlfriend currently lives in Guangzhou, so the convenience of the high speed rail is going to make our long distance more bearable! I'm really excited to go to Wuhan actually-- perhaps I' am naive, but I can't wait to interact with the culture! How hot does it get in Wuhan? +50? =O
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Well, if you're teaching on a normal schedule you won't have to be there during the worst of the heat.

My wife was walking around Wuhan for the weekend while I was busy playing sports. She said there were some interesting neighborhoods around some of the tourist sites. I was a bit jealous of missing out.

Yeah, good place to get access to Chinese culture and improve your Chinese language skills. Good luck.
klooste

Post by klooste »

Thank you very much for the luck! What is a normal schedule (2 months summer off)? Do you mean a school that honours the Chinese calender, or the Western calander?
grdwdgrrrl

Post by grdwdgrrrl »

One of the furnaces of China but it's not 50, more like 35+ but, sometimes it's the type of heat, it was miserable and still hot at night. However, I now live in a place where it's 35+ during the day 365 days a year, sometimes humid sometimes not but it's nice at night. Anyhow, it's all relative.