staff morale - is it an issue?

bexwalk

staff morale - is it an issue?

Post by bexwalk »

Hello,
I am new to the ISR and upon reading reviews found there to be a significant element of negativity towards management, admin and leadership of the schools I looked at ( and I checked out quite a few). I am a current primary head in UK looking for a role ( not headship) in the international sector but I have been slightly deterred by the comments I have read about mismanagement, workplace bullying, nepotism etc. Can anyone give me a different perspective on this... I'm young(ish), creative and really energetic- I lead with a hands on approach and I am concerned my style will not fit in/be appropriate for the schools I have looked at.
Many thanks in advance for any advice!
fine dude

Re: staff morale - is it an issue?

Post by fine dude »

Being a hands-on administrator is good. It's even better to have a strategic plan and be organized. What frustrates teachers is when the admin simply dumps all of their random and mixed-up plans on teachers and expects them to accomplish all or most of them in a single school year. Morale also sinks when the admin doesn't create an environment that supports collaboration and plays favorites pitting one teacher / group against another. Also, learn to make a schedule that works and fosters learning.
Having lengthy weekly meetings without focused agenda is another characteristic of pseudo-admin. Having said that, I also worked with A+ admin who have a way to get things done and still have low turnover at their schools.

So, have a plan, listen to the staff, don't overload them all at once and most of all, treat your teachers as professionals (this one is bigger than compensation). Very few administrators do so.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

I would take a lot of comments on here with a big grain of international sea salt. When you start interviewing, Skyping, and going to job fairs you'll get a better/clearer picture of the schools you're interested in.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

bexwalk, if you have ever worked in the service industry, you know the mantra, "For every happy customer who says nothing, you have 7 unhappy customers telling people about their experience." It is the same in teaching. People who are unhappy tend to focus on that. At some schools they are the minority at others the majority, but there is always "that guy" or "that gal". The secret is not to be that person.

At the same time, understand that teachers work at great schools that take horrible turns. I know I did. The school is still good (although, I don't know if it is as good as it was, or as good as it could be), the students are great, but they are much more cynical about what used to be a family atmosphere and is now clearly a business and is recognised as such.

So take it with a grain of salt - but if there are a lot of posts, and they have similar themes, it is a bit more believable. Also, think about what ordinary teachers would say about your school, and about you - have you ever had conflict, bred resentment, either justly or unjustly, been determined to get your way in philosophy despite an equally valid philisophical point? What might that staff member write when it is time to move on?

In the end, do as much research as you can, double check things, talk to people on the circuit that you know, and go in knowing it might not all be as portrayed. Good luck!
whynot

Post by whynot »

Good post shadowjack.

I find that 'those people' who do the complaining are often the ones who have little or no experience in their home state system. Those of us who have spent a significant time there really appreciate (depending on the school) the generally better working conditions in international schools. I feel priveleged to be in this position.

Definitely take it with a big grain of salt. I have been in 5 schools and while all different I can say they have all been good. Having said that, I'm sure one day I'll hit a dud one - they are definitely out there.

If you are used to working in a highly regulated environment with robust systems in place you might find some international schools a bit 'wild west'. You gotta be a bit tough to be in this business. But, you can also make a difference...
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

I can understand why staff morale can be an issue: many for-profit schools have owners who are not educators, micro-managing or inserting their points of view, sometimes randomly.

Yet you will be able to make a considerable difference. As a Head, you should at least attempt to move into a leadership role of some sort (e.g., coordinator, pedagogical leader). You will have more respect the higher the position, and with your experience, you will be know and understand how to manage change successfully. You can also expect more respect from the school's owners, and that in itself will help you introduce new ideas.

Of course, as several posters have said, there are excellent amazing international schools out there too, and you may be lucky enough to land a job in one of those.

But if not, there are more of those other types of schools, where a wealthy family has the urge to make a difference, without appreciating teachers and education do not run like a factory. The impact you make in this type of school, provided the owners listen, is likely to be very much greater. And do not dismiss it: these schools to have many, many students who deserve good teaching.

Best of luck!
Last edited by SuzieQ on Wed May 06, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

In my opinion what happens at an International school is not tht different that what happens at a western school. Being in admin for 10 years I have seen it all: staff that hate me, staff that love me, parents that demand and are squeaky wheels, parents that are supportive and involved. Teachers that are petty and demanding and have poor classroom management and others that are fabulous. The issues are similar everywhere. There will be some staff that love your style and some that won't I international school or not. End of the day you have to lead with your leadership style. Understand that you have WAY more influence than power and view each challenge as a learning opportunity.
And agreed-there does seem to be a lot of judgment and negativity on some forum posts.
dis33

Post by dis33 »

I worked in UK state secondary schools from 1993-2002. Morale was not that great there. Then with my wife and a six month old baby sold the house, packed a few boxes and went overseas. Two posts, two years in middle east then two years in Asia. Best teaching jobs I ever had - absolutely no regrets. Fan-bloody-tastic. Our second child was born in the middle east, private health care covered all costs - far better looked after than NHS. We saved money too. Both schools were not for profit with excellent packages, but both had their fare share of naysayers. I ended up feeling a little rootless though, and we decided to emigrate to NZ, been here since 2006 and are now citizens. State school I'm at in NZ much better than most in UK but I've joined this forum as I'm thinking of going back to international again but have discovered I'm probably too expensive now (3 costly dependents). I think I got lucky with my two overseas posts and I would only consider not for profits again this time - because I trust them more and they are less likely to dick me around. But if you're single it's less of an issue (no worries over exam age children).

Anyway, we've had a huge adventure all because I took that initial risky step into the unknown.

It helps to be adaptable, positive, and someone who sees problems as things to be solved not bitched about. Then you'll fit in anywhere. Avoid the negative egos in the staffroom. I found both my international schools to be very progressive - creative types welcome!

GO!